Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Completed engine swap. Tried to just swap ecu from Ninja into Versys frame. Bike runs and revs fine. When I ride it on the road the engine cuts out. I then back off the throttle and the engine comes back to life. What do I need to swap to make this work? Also Fi light is flashing very fast. Swapped Versys ecu in to see if Fi light would change. Light is now off. Engine for sure doesn't like that ecu.

·
Registered
337 Posts
My >GUESS< is that the wiring harness is the issue. It sounds like the pins are in different locations and the Ninja ECU is not happy getting the wrong signal(s). Possibly the throttle position sensor or speed sensor? Have you checked the error codes stored in the Ninja ECU?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
My >GUESS< is that the wiring harness is the issue. It sounds like the pins are in different locations and the Ninja ECU is not happy getting the wrong signal(s). Possibly the throttle position sensor or speed sensor? Have you checked the error codes stored in the Ninja ECU?
your guess is correct. the ECU forward bikes in the ER6 lineup represent a generation change and the harnesses do not match up with the previous generation of either bike. 2012 for the ER6F Ninja, and 2015 for the Versys. if you put the critical connectors from both bikes side-by-side, you'll see that they are pinned differently, and often don't even have the same colors or wire count. by now you know the engine wiring connectors are the same, try running the engine with the Versys ECU, report back.

get it running, you won't regret the swap, more HP and torque. the sportbike engine in the Versys frame is called the cop motor.

2012 cop motor in Versys frame

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Completed engine swap. Tried to just swap ecu from Ninja into Versys frame. Bike runs and revs fine. When I ride it on the road the engine cuts out. I then back off the throttle and the engine comes back to life. What do I need to swap to make this work? Also Fi light is flashing very fast.
your guess is correct. the ECU forward bikes in the ER6 lineup represent a generation change and the harnesses do not match up with the previous generation of either bike. 2012 for the ER6F Ninja, and 2015 for the Versys. if you put the critical connectors from both bikes side-by-side, you'll see that they are pinned differently, and often don't even have the same colors or wire count. by now you know the engine wiring connectors are the same, try running the engine with the Versys ECU, report back.

get it running, you won't regret the swap, more HP and torque. the sportbike engine in the Versys frame is called the cop motor.

2012 cop motor in Versys frame

You're the reason I'm doing the swap. Purchased DRZ 400s forks, and the rear suspension you used. Don't have the wheels yet. I tried the Versys ecu but it wouldn't run. I purchased the Ninja wiring harness as well. Could you point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
You're the reason I'm doing the swap. Purchased DRZ 400s forks, and the rear suspension you used. Don't have the wheels yet. I tried the Versys ecu but it wouldn't run. I purchased the Ninja wiring harness as well. Could you point me in the right direction?
dog gone, i'm the guilty party. lots of V649 clones out there, those riders all report they love their custom Versys motos.

my 2012 EX650 motor is currently running on the first gen Versys harness, and i think a Versys ECU, although i'd have to verify since i have a few different ECUs on the shelf. starts instantly, runs fine when revved, and the OEM Versys instruments function completely normally., no flashing lights etc. i wouldn't have bothered trying a ECU forward harness if that's what you bought, it's a completely different animal and would take a tremendous amount of effort to convert it to a ECU rear bike. unwrap that harness, it looks like it was put together by someone with a serious drug problem, mainly hallucinogenics..

for sure the 2012 EX650 ECU doesn't work with the Versys harness even though it plugs in, but i am surprised that the motor doesn't run with the Versys harness/Versys ECU. it won't run well, or won't run at all?

when i get a minute, i'll try to confirm which ECU is on the bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dog gone, i'm the guilty party. lots of V649 clones out there, those riders all report they love their custom Versys motos.

my 2012 EX650 motor is currently running on the first gen Versys harness, and i think a Versys ECU, although i'd have to verify since i have a few different ECUs on the shelf. starts instantly, runs fine when revved, and the OEM Versys instruments function completely normally., no flashing lights etc. i wouldn't have bothered trying a ECU forward harness if that's what you bought, it's a completely different animal and would take a tremendous amount of effort to convert it to a ECU rear bike. unwrap that harness, it looks like it was put together by someone with a serious drug problem, mainly hallucinogenics..

for sure the 2012 EX650 ECU doesn't work with the Versys harness even though it plugs in, but i am surprised that the motor doesn't run with the Versys harness/Versys ECU. it won't run well, or won't run at all?

When I tried to run the ninja engine off of the Versys ecu it would idle but shut off as soon as I gave it throttle. I guess its a matter of looking at both bike electrical schematics and moving pins to match Ninja ecu.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
When I tried to run the ninja engine off of the Versys ecu it would idle but shut off as soon as I gave it throttle. I guess its a matter of looking at both bike electrical schematics and moving pins to match Ninja ecu.
it's been a few years, but i did do the deep dive on the EX650 harness with the forward mount ECU. while the motor did start when the harness was reconfigured, it had an intermittent miss that i could not track down, and i concluded that any more effort was a waste of time. you can put the schematics side-by-side and attempt to re-pin, but my recollection is that you'll encounter some problems.

almost all ER6 harnesses i've seen, regardless of model, had chafing underneath the tank where the harness was pinched, take a close look at your harness.

pretty hard to mix up the wiring connections at the motor, hope the connectors were greased at assembly, so if you can get 4,000rpm but no more, often the problem is fuel. i don't know how long your Versys sat unused before this work, but the issue could be a bad fuel pump, or the filter sock attached to the pump is clogged. 4,000rpm seems to be the magic number for all manufacturer's bikes with fuel delivery problems. breather hose clear? tried adding some fuel conditioner?

i still need to check on the ECU i have hooked up to the Versys harness. although everything runs fine right now, i might swap in a different ER6F Ninja harness that will talk to the new instruments i'm also swapping in. mix and match.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
checked the part number on the ECU, definitely a 2009 Versys ECU in a 2009 Versys harness, runs the 2012 EX650 motor just fine. the 2009 ECU is a bit of a step child, doesn't match the 2007-08 Versys ECU from the first gen. the second gen Versys ECUs are all the same, but different from the first gen.

for additional info, i can also start and run the 2012 motor with the 2012 ECU plugged into the 2009 Versys harness, although i haven't checked to see if the instruments work (yes, you can run these bikes without instruments). i still think that your bike should run on the Versys harness/ECU, absent some other problem.

look on the bright side, at least you haven't done this...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll try installing the Ninja ecu back in and ride it to see if I have 4k rpm or some repeatability to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I'll try installing the Ninja ecu back in and ride it to see if I have 4k rpm or some repeatability to troubleshoot.
we both have the same 3rd gen EX650 sportbike motor. you have the 2nd gen Versys harness, i have the 1st gen Versys harness. yours won't run on either the 2nd gen Versys ECU (0313) or 3rd gen ER6F ECU (0732), mine runs on both 1st gen Versys ECU (0214) and 0732. even though mine runs fine, i'm going to swap in an entire 2nd gen ER6F setup when i get the chance because i have already have the instruments and harness, ECU (0206) on the way. the 2nd gen sportbike ECU bumped the HP number into the 70s. i'm betting that i could plug the 0206 into the Versys harness and it would run the 2012 motor, i'll have to test that theory. if i recall correctly, the 1st gen ER6F ECU (0106) uses different connectors and will not plug into any harness beyond 2007.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I checked the pinout on of the ecu on both bikes electrical schematics. They are identical. They even have the same color wires. The only difference that I see is if the Ninja had abs. If it did the FI light has a different pin assignment. That could explain why the FI light flickers when the Ninja ecu is plugged in. Next I have to verify by actually comparing both harnesses pin outs and colors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts