Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's been some confusion as to whether the SW top rack is compatible with the side racks...

I'm wanting to purchase the top rack from a fellow member, but I also want to later add side racks (specifically SW if possible, for the traxx luggage), but I want to make sure it all plays nice together.

Anyone have both mounted? Did you have to jury rig it?

Twisted throttle link here
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/3906/

says, "Mounts alone or with SW-MOTECH Quick-Lock sideracks"

But also, "Will NOT work with the SW-MOTECH Sidecarriers."

What gives?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Check out my youtube channel for videos of my bike. All you have to do is put the side racks on first, the luggage rack on top of that, and put a single washer under each of the bolts for the rear seat latch to space it up. They just say it won't work so they are not responsible if you overload the rear frame section of the bike. I haven't had any problems. I even added a backrest to my SWMotech luggage rack.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
There's been some confusion as to whether the SW top rack is compatible with the side racks...

I'm wanting to purchase the top rack from a fellow member, but I also want to later add side racks (specifically SW if possible, for the traxx luggage), but I want to make sure it all plays nice together.

What gives?
What year V do you have? Your pic shows an 09. There's no problem fitting the top rack and side racks on an 09. They fit together fine with no spacing issues or anything. If you have a 2010 or later, you apparently must work with the spacing to get them to work together.

·
Registered
61 Posts

What gives?
I am sorry for the confusion. With all models of the Versys SW-MOTECH was required to NOT offer a fitting solution that allowed the use of side and top cases at the same time. We think that Kawasaki is concerned about overloading of the sub-frame. You may find some older Versys outfitted before January of 2010 with both side and top carriers. In early 2010 the side carriers were redesigned to fit both generations of the Versys. During that redesign SW-MOTECH intentionally designed them so that they cannot be easily fitted at the same time that the SW-MOTECH toprack is installed.

I rewrote the "Special Note:" on the toprack page that created this confusion. it now states:

This toprack WILL NOT mount with the SW-MOTECH Sidecarriers on the Kawasaki Versys. Both the Ninja 650 and ER6n WILL allow you to install both a toprack and sidecarriers.​
Again, sorry for the confusion. I hope this helps you to understand the issue. I would contact Kawasaki directly to get load restrictions as a safety precaution.

Kevin from Twisted Throttle.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Kevin,

That's exactly what the nice lady said on the phone a couple of days ago when I called your shop.

For the rest of us, Givi still offers a 3 piece luggage rack for the '10 and newer V's. Add the $100 adapters to the Givi racks, that Twisted Throttle sells, so you can mount the Trax side boxes.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Motopsyco, when did you purchase your racks?
May 2011. I've beat that bike half to death with a loaded coocase (now two one gallon rotopax) loaded givi 35 bags, and some sort of bag across the back seat and no stress cracks or tears on the bike anywhere yet. Except the cheap lid stays on the saddlebags, those popped right out.

·
Registered
901 Posts
That's kind of odd...I bought my racks for my 09 in Spring of 2011 and they fit together.....

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've been trying to configure a top box with side luggage and would like to use the sw motech.. What i don't understand is why sw motech won't condone the top rack with their side racks, but Givi has no qualms with it..

·
Registered
72 Posts
So is the consensus that the new design racks will still work together on an 09' even with Kevins comments? I will only be riding solo on this bike and am not worried about weights.. I do however want it to fit together with a nice fit and finish. No one has mentioned the washer thickness, will it make the seat sit up funny in the rear?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I don't know what the general concensus is but I do know that the SW Motech top and side carriers I bought a few months ago for my 09 fit together. I did have to play with the spacers a little but not enough that I would consider it a pain. To be honest, I didnt even know they werent supposed to fit together until I read it here and I had already installed mine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't know what the general concensus is but I do know that the SW Motech top and side carriers I bought a few months ago for my 09 fit together. I did have to play with the spacers a little but not enough that I would consider it a pain. To be honest, I didnt even know they werent supposed to fit together until I read it here and I had already installed mine.
Thanks! If it hasn't been that long since you purchased yours I'd be willing to gamble..

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Photographic evidence that the SWMotech EVO side carriers can coexist with an Alu-rack. Here are close ups of the rack mount under the seat of my 09. I bought the racks in April of this year.
I did have to move the spacers around to get proper spacing but its nothing the average monkey couldn't do.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts