Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading a closed thread entitled "BEWARE SW-MOTECH Centerstands".

I couraged up and ordered one anyway for my 2016 650 Versys, and it went on fine (other than my buggering some screw heads from a snapped hex head socket head, my fault) and I see no sign of the clearance issues from the original poster. I have a sneaking hunch that the OP of that thread may have put a Gen 2 on a Gen 3 bike or vice versa. [warning: I've been wrong before so this is just my .02.)

The centerstand works great, and other than the cost which did sour my milk for a week or so, it works very well.

my .02.

·
Registered
499 Posts
The interference issue was posted on webBikeWorld's review after they installed it on a 2015 (there's a video of it, too). Also, this is what is says (just checked so it's still there) on on SW-Motech's site for the 2015-2016 Versys center stand: "Please note. The bikes side stand must be temporarily folded out in order to park the motorcycle on the centerstand or fold in the centerstand." So there was indeed some sort of issue, but from your reports obviously not everyone has had the interference. I returned the SW-Motech stand I purchased (but hadn't yet installed) after I learned of the problem some were reporting. Now I have a Hepco-Becker stand waiting to be installed.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Let me get this.... bike's on the side stand, roll it up on the center stand, put up side stand (or leave it down). To get bike off center stand - side stand must be down. So no more riding off the center stand I guess. I would imagine it's possible to take the bike off the center stand and have the already down side stand come down on your foot, or hit uneven ground and tip to the right. Can the bike be taken off the center stand with the side stand about half down or less? H-B does seem the better choice. Good information for Gen 3 owners.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Let me get this.... bike's on the side stand, roll it up on the center stand, put up side stand (or leave it down). To get bike off center stand - side stand must be down. So no more riding off the center stand I guess. I would imagine it's possible to take the bike off the center stand and have the already down side stand come down on your foot, or hit uneven ground and tip to the right. Can the bike be taken off the center stand with the side stand about half down or less? H-B does seem the better choice. Good information for Gen 3 owners.
Yup. If an owner uses it mostly just for maintenance or storage, it wouldn't be a big issue, but for folks like me who use a center stand every time his bike is parked (incl. gas fill-ups) unless it's on soft or crazy uneven ground, the interference issue would be a huge PITA. The wBW editor told me that the SWM shouldn't be considered a "ride-off" stand. What's weird is that it apparently doesn't interfere on everyone's Gen 3, which may indicate a supply, manufacturing, or installation variance.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you take the bike down off the center stand with the side stand up, the center stand rests on the side stand. It only takes a tap on the side stand to get the center stand back to it's correct resting place.
There is no riding off the center stand though.
The poster from the closed post was stating the drive chain was rubbing on the center stand brackets, not really addressing the side/center stand interference.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I think the key to success is: 1) Buy the correct center stand for your year model Versys, 2) maintain the drive chain per OEM specs.

For more info, go back and read through that "closed thread". You'll notice a lot of things that don't seem to add up....Why were there no photos that showed an alledged area with markings of contact (chain to bracket)? The photos showed adequate clearance. Why report a problem without reviewing all variables? I think I recall OP listed the chain at 3" slack....well outside spec. Why not respond to Twisted Throttle, who proactively reached out (within the thread), to accumulate substantial data that we could all gain from?

Several things didn't add up to me. I have one mounted to my bike, and supplied my feedback there (I won't duplucate the info here), though my conclusion is to properly maintain chain slack.

I was reading a closed thread entitled "BEWARE SW-MOTECH Centerstands".

I couraged up and ordered one anyway for my 2016 650 Versys, and it went on fine (other than my buggering some screw heads from a snapped hex head socket head, my fault) and I see no sign of the clearance issues from the original poster. I have a sneaking hunch that the OP of that thread may have put a Gen 2 on a Gen 3 bike or vice versa. [warning: I've been wrong before so this is just my .02.)

The centerstand works great, and other than the cost which did sour my milk for a week or so, it works very well.

my .02.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Oh...I see now that we're talking about two different issues. I wasn't aware of the (alleged) chain interference issue; I was addressing the side stand interference issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a '15 Versys 650 LT. The center stand from SW- Motech interferes with the side stand as noted by others. If the side stand is up before raising the center stand, the center stand will not retract fully. One time, I noticed the center stand dragging on the asphalt during a turn because I forgot to retract the side stand after the center stand. I believe this to be dangerous, so i posted a review on SW-Motech. My review was removed soon after posting by SW_Motech or a third party that manages the review site. I received a courtesy call from SW. The caller informed me the review was removed because it contained liability implications. I was also reminded by the SW tech that their site notes the interference may occur between the two stands.

·
Registered
200 Posts
While this "interference" may not be the norm for OEM centerstands, it is not uncommon in the realm of aftermarket centerstands. From the bikes that I've owned, which didn't come OEM with a centerdstand, I have been well aware of this potential on the ones that were affected (Versys & KLR650).

To make the centerstand base more narrow (to prevent said interference) would decrease stability while on the c-stand and also potentially make it more awkward for the operator to reach the centerstand base with their toe while engaging the stand and preparing for lift. My SV650 was this way, meaning that it had a narrow base. It was a challenege to engage the c-stand, to apply pressure to keep the c-stand in contact with the ground, and to awkwardly lift the bike (without tipping side-to-side)in the process.

It sounds as if the key issue is communication. I haven't seen the 2015 installation instructions. It would seem appropriate to include this charecteristic (order of engagement/disengagement) within the installation/operating instructions. If already there, then may be an oversight in catching this step. If not there, it needs to be.

From years of owning/operating aftermarket c-stands (with this charesceristic), I quickly got used to it and it's been a non-issue for me. For me, the conveniences of having the c-stand far outweigh the the slight inconvenience of remembering the prescribed order.

OP- I hope you adjust and do enjoy the use of your stand.

.... The center stand from SW- Motech interferes with the side stand as noted by others. If the side stand is up before raising the center stand, the center stand will not retract fully. .... I received a courtesy call from SW. The caller informed me the review was removed because it contained liability implications. I was also reminded by the SW tech that their site notes the interference may occur between the two stands.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts