16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
983 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
I watched the video and didn't get that from it. What makes you come to that conclusion? Just because the guy is on a cruiser?
I also watched the video and it was clear from the narration that there has been a physical altercation between the biker and the SUV driver.

Could have been a sport bike rider for all I cared, I was trying to make a joke.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I watched the video and didn't get that from it. What makes you come to that conclusion? Just because the guy is on a cruiser?
Something occurred to me... If you haven't been out west, hanging out with the Harley crowd out here, you may not be aware of how they've stereotyped their own behavior. Lane splitting recklessly, no riding lessons, often no endorsement, loud pipes and lots of needless revving, scaring the crap out of people on the road... It's not all of them, but it's not a few, either. And they seriously look down on anyone riding anything not 'Murican made. Most of them wear a 3-piece on their back.

By the way, I can't help but point out you didn't have a problem with the way I referred to the SUV driver. That's interesting, isn't it?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Something occurred to me... If you haven't been out west, hanging out with the Harley crowd out here, you may not be aware of how they've stereotyped their own behavior. Lane splitting recklessly, no riding lessons, often no endorsement, loud pipes and lots of needless revving, scaring the crap out of people on the road... It's not all of them, but it's not a few, either. And they seriously look down on anyone riding anything not 'Murican made. Most of them wear a 3-piece on their back.

By the way, I can't help but point out you didn't have a problem with the way I referred to the SUV driver. That's interesting, isn't it?
i think that harley crowd goes coast to coast. the weather in our part of the country allows for year round riding so they are more noticeable. from flip flops and shorts to the east bay types with custom color matched everything including helmets and stereos louder than the loud pipes. on the other hand the guy on the ducati hypermotard flying up 101 from sf seems worse. ducati loud, death wish riding and likes to touch what he passes with his hand. :clap:
nicely done.

·
Registered
983 Posts
i think that harley crowd goes coast to coast. the weather in our part of the country allows for year round riding so they are more noticeable. from flip flops and shorts to the east bay types with custom color matched everything including helmets and stereos louder than the loud pipes. on the other hand the guy on the ducati hypermotard flying up 101 from sf seems worse. ducati loud, death wish riding and likes to touch what he passes with his hand. :clap:

nicely done.

I've been across most of the country, and the 1% guys in most other states are just that... 1%. California seems to have a real weird thing going on with "biker attitude", and it shows especially in the population centers.

Those Oakland bikers are sure a piece of work, aren't they? And Stockton has some exaggerated weirdness going on now with that SoA spin-off.

I had a guy roll up to the fireworks booth I was working on the 4th on his brand new (to him) Harley. Blasting tunes on the radio, left it idling in the parking lot so we could all 'enjoy' his rap music... Seriously left it to idle.

His wife parked behind him when he rolled up. She was worried he'd die and leave her and their 20 children with nothing on his first ever motorcycle ride.

He gave me the I'm cooler than you nod as he duck walked to 10 mph since he couldn't ride his stupid pig bike. That's fairly typical of the Harley riders I see. Again, not all...

For the record, I used to be all about Harleys. Custom Chrome catalogs took up a large space on my book shelf. If I had unlimited money and space, I'd have a few Harleys in various configurations.

I don't like an awful lot of Harley riders.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Didnt get any backstory about the SUV driver, sounds like he hit the bike just cause it was there. Loud motorcycles....Im with the vast majority of the people on the planet who are non riders and have to suffer through this nonsense. We need to be so loud so we are noticed and seen. They're wearing earplugs so whats the problem?Gives the rest of us enthusiasts a bad name. Wanna be seen,put on LED daytime running lights. Saved my bacon many times,I absolutely pay attention to when and how well I am seen and acknowledged. I wish authorities would put as much energy into vehicle noise control as they put into emission controls!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Didnt get any backstory about the SUV driver, sounds like he hit the bike just cause it was there. Loud motorcycles....Im with the vast majority of the people on the planet who are non riders and have to suffer through this nonsense. We need to be so loud so we are noticed and seen. They're wearing earplugs so whats the problem?Gives the rest of us enthusiasts a bad name. Wanna be seen,put on LED daytime running lights. Saved my bacon many times,I absolutely pay attention to when and how well I am seen and acknowledged. I wish authorities would put as much energy into vehicle noise control as they put into emission controls!
The way I heard the news story, there had been a fist fight precluding the vehicular assault.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Just went back and listened again... The news story doesn't directly say the biker was involved in the fight, but he did say the Beemer had to make a U-turn to get him, and he was already off the bike.

·
Premium Member
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The guys in the BMW were from Florida.....Enough Said.....>:)>:)>:)

·
Registered
240 Posts
as someone who commutes and filters legally 5 days a week in the sluggish san francsco bay area traffic i can say that loud pipes have a place on any bike i own. i also have led lights and ride like it matters. on the way to work traffic is moving at the limit to no worries. on the way home some days i split for 35 miles. i do this conservatively. loud horn, pipes and bright lights work for me. maybe you haven't seen the lady eating a salad and texting while she drives with her knees. or the guy who's laptop fits neatly in the steering wheel of his range rover. :surprise:

·
Registered
557 Posts
as someone who commutes and filters legally 5 days a week in the sluggish san francsco bay area traffic i can say that loud pipes have a place on any bike i own. :surprise:
With the age of electric motorized vehicles coming with all their torque Im a little worried it may become too quiet! Especially for pedestrians amidst all the distracted driving. Rather have that problem though....

·
Super Moderator
18,974 Posts
Loud pipes do nothing aside from pissing off everyone you pass with them. Sounds propagates to the rear. You are warning anyone ahead of you.

Stop fooling yourselves.
I believe this is what you meant...?

Sounds propagates to the rear, so you are warning anyone BEHIND you.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts

That's how I heard the SS bike crowd described. Mmm.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts

I saw what the SUV driver did. The rest of what you are saying is your imagination based on stereotyping. >:)

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Loud pipes do nothing aside from pissing off everyone you pass with them. Sounds propagates to the rear. You are warning anyone ahead of you.

Stop fooling yourselves.
Not entirely true. When I was in traffic going north out of LA I heard the bikes before I saw them. Yes, they are louder once they pass, but I could still hear them and check my mirrors for them. That said, it is the only state and roads where I think loud pipes help. Otherwise I don't like to hear bikes that are too loud.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts