Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soliciting advice from other forum members

I'm about 185-190lb fully geared up and find the rear a harsh with the stock rear suspension settings although I have no complaints about the front. Riding is almost all on pavement and mainly in an urban environment on roads that experience frost damage in the winter months. I also like to ride the twisties on occasion.

Should I lower preload? What about rebound damping?

My question have you people tuned your suspension at? Please list geared up weight and the type of riding you do (urban commuting, performance riding, touring - off road, smooth pavement, rough pavement). Let's gather as much info as we can in this thread wrt suspension tuning for the benefit of all.

Rear preload set to 5 (7 is maximum preload)
Rear rebound set to 5 clicks out (0 is screwed in fully clockwise)

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
The stock rear preload is insane. Even at lowest setting you probably don't have enough sag.

Same for front except reversed. Stock setting is way to soft.

I set rebound and jounce damping about mid-range.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I recently set my preload to the lowest setting and lowered the dampening to the softest. I'm like 175 when I ride, and I feel its pretty cushy now.

(Of course I rode with an unexpected passenger the other day and wished I hadn't just softened everything the night before... )

Obviously the best thing to do is set the sag appropriately, but unless you have a couple people to help or pay a shop to assist, its hard to do... Just play with the settings, start low and work your way up. Even the same size riders might prefer different settings.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I've been playing around with my suspension since the original post of this thread some time ago. Just posting this for comparison to what others may find what works for them. I'm not sure I've got it completely dialed in but I've found a big improvement going one preload setting lower than stock in the rear. It takes away the harshness without being too soft or making the bike pogo for and aft with braking and acceleration or and wallow in higher speed turns, which I've found going much softer does. I've gone back to the stock settings up front as I cannot seem to find a better setting there.

Rider weight with gear: 185-190lb
Rear Preload 4th position out of 7 (max)
Rear Rebound 5-6

·
Registered
720 Posts
Can't advise much since I am not using the stock shock. However, suspension although has its general guideline that applies to most, still suspension is like engine oil - everybody has their own preference. What works for others might not work for you. Vice versa

1 - 5 of 5 Posts