Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to be getting jolted from sharp edge bumps and expansion joints. I was wondering if any of the larger riders have had similar issues. With all my gear I am around 265 lbs. My bike only has a little over 200 miles. Do I need to give the suspension time to settle in before adjusting? Thanks in advance for any advise on adjustments anyone can give.

·
Registered
603 Posts
With all my gear, I am about 205. I did not wait any time to set my suspension. I first set my rear suspension to the softest preload setting. Then rode the bike to see if it was too soft. Seemed ok to me. Then set front to softest (turned both fork preload screws all the way out). Rode bike to check and found to be ok. Then set rebound in rear to softest setting, rode and found to be ok. Set front rebound to three turns out (checked, seemed to soft); then two turns - seemed to soft; finally set it to one turn out and seemed to be ok. After over 1500 miles on NJ paved roads, at speeds up to 80 mph, but typically between 40 and 60 mph, the suspension seems to be fine.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I changed the fork oil to a 7wt. oil. Decreases compression damping allowing the fork to easily soak up the expansion joints. Along with the change to an Elka 2-way shock which i will eventually get totally straightened out. I'm close...maybe just need to stop messing around with it and ride.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
The jolt is not due to your weight, it's the way the forks are setup. The forks have a very aggressive high speed compression damping, which instead of allowing the fork to absorb the sharp bumps, make the bike hop over them. Actually, if anything your weight helps. Just imagine how much fun that setup is when you weigh 150 lbs... :eek:

As mentioned above, lower weight oil helps, but doesn't completely solve this problem. The better solution is to revalve the forks with a less aggressive high speed damping setup.

Gustavo

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
with out gear i'm 270. when i picked up my bike the service guy told me not to mess with the suspension until i put 1000 mile on the bike. at first seemed way to stiff but now with 4000 miles on the bike it feels fine without ever touching the suspension.but then i use to race a 1976 honda 125 elsinore talk about stiff suspension

1 - 6 of 6 Posts