Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.. Does anybody know how much mm quals to one turn of Preload on front and rear on 3rd Gen suspension? I know that on previous Gen it was equal to 1mm.

·
Registered
218 Posts
If you wish to adjust front and rear suspension here is 1 video which I use, and I can say it is perfect for me.

Weight limit of Versys 650 2018 model is 210 kg. (In manual: Weight of rider, passenger, baggage, and accessories must not exceed 210 kg - 463lb) I have 105 kg + all gear on me and on motorbike is about 130 kg.
Rebound I set on 1.5-2 full turn (I can always adjust that easy depent what kind of road are, bad or good). For spring action I use 1 full turn is 10 kg. I make 13 turns. For rear susupension I use same way, every click is 8.75 kg, I use 16 clicks (24 are total clicks).
Felling on motorbike are much better than stock settings.
For now I have 2000km on that setting and for now it is great.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Understand... But I want to know if 1 turn is equal to 1 mm that I don't have to use meter... 13 turns were not enough for me...bottomed out during braking... Now I have 14 turns on front

·
Premium Member
2015 650 Versys LT ABS
29 Posts
First: establish a reproducible low tolerance references point.
Now you are able to make a consistent change without guessing.
Get a zip tight, fasten it on one fork tube (see picture) for an ongoing reference, measure from the zip tight to the top of the dust seal - fork to set your sag by yourself.

2015 650 Versys 'General Sag starting point'
Fork Sag
150mm travel
22% of travel = 33mm
fully seated clockwise

Rear Schock Sag
145mm travel
33% of travel = 43mm
preload is fully seated counterclockwise

BTW, I am using Motool Slacker v4 on all my bikes.
IMG_20200802_073048.jpg

2015 650 Versys rear shock
> preload is fully seated counterclockwise
145mm travel 33% of travel = 43mm

1 click (soft) fully seated counterclockwise

5 out from fully seated counterclockwise

10 out from fully seated counterclockwise

15 out from fully seated counterclockwise

20 out from fully seated counterclockwise

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Motool must have gone to the Marty Mcfly school for slackers.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Understand... But I want to know if 1 turn is equal to 1 mm that I don't have to use meter... 13 turns were not enough for me...bottomed out during braking... Now I have 14 turns on front
One turn for someone at 150lbs will not be the same as 1 turn for someone at 210lbs, there's no way you can make a click the same for everyone.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
I looked at their website product description and just have ask why? Why would anyone check or change their preload settings every ride, or have the bar mounted display showing 'real time' measurements?
I know the importance of spring preload and I can understand changing preload if you happen to be riding with a passenger or luggage for that particular ride. But the average rider isn't going to be changing +/- 30lbs every day, let alone need 'real time' monitoring.

·
Premium Member
2015 650 Versys LT ABS
29 Posts
".... and just have ask why? "
You are correct, that would be really silly checking your preload every ride. The ``Slacker" as the name describes it, is a "Back to the Future" one person precision sag tool. It is part of the Suspension Shop tool kits, that I'm able to borrow and play around with.

For a couple bikes, I would stick with my mm measuring tape and trusted zip tie. Just remember, that setting Sag is bringing you (fully decked out) into compliance within the optimal suspension travel of your bike.

You still have to fine-tune with the rebound, high-low compression (not OEM standard) based on your riding style - riding terrain. And this is an ongoing effort, between yourself and your bike because as you get better you will ask more of your suspension, therefore you need to tune it for the advancement you made.
If interested, check out Dave Moss in my mind one of the definite suspension sources.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You are correct, that would be really silly checking your preload every ride. The ``Slacker" as the name describes it, is a "Back to the Future" one person precision sag tool. It is part of the Suspension Shop tool kits, that I'm able to borrow and play around with.

For a couple bikes, I would stick with my mm measuring tape and trusted zip tie. Just remember, that setting Sag is bringing you (fully decked out) into compliance within the optimal suspension travel of your bike.

You still have to fine-tune with the rebound, high-low compression (not OEM standard) based on your riding style - riding terrain. And this is an ongoing effort, between yourself and your bike because as you get better you will ask more of your suspension, therefore you need to tune it for the advancement you made.
If interested, check out Dave Moss in my mind one of the definite suspension sources.
I agree with you, I have had aftermarket suspension on every bike for the past 25 years and am the type that never rides without a screwdriver for adjustments.
I was just trying to rationalize their marketing hype, emphasizing needing to check your sag EVERY ride or 'real time' readout for up to the second monitoring. 🤷‍♀️
The product itself looks very convenient if you owned a suspension shop of did track-side setup, definitely not for the everyday rider unless you change passengers or cargo weights frequently.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts