Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My "small" extender for my Versys-X windscreen is a big success. There is just one problem: wobbling fore and aft. When I am on the motorway, there is a lot of turbulence from the cars and trucks ahead of me. As a result, my windscreen and its extension wobble like jelly. Once I am away from the traffic, in "clean" air, the wobbling greatly reduces.

To provide mechanical support to the windscreen, I have ordered a GPS mount. (See below). I will mount a rubber spacer on the top horizontal bar of the mount, to press up against the windscreen to support it. That should reduce the wobbling. Sports equipment Gesture Font Bicycle part Fashion accessory

Has anyone else tried this?
Sports equipment Gesture Font Bicycle part Fashion accessory

·
Registered
583 Posts
No but I feel your pain. After installing a large, aftermarket touring screen and bracket (MadStad) my windscreen and cowling vibrate a lot; it's like a sail up there. The buffering is gone and it's an amazing setup but I don't like the extra shaking. I've been trying to figure out a way to brace my cowling internally, to add strength so it can support the extra pressure from the new bracket/screen. Of course in summer I have a small fly screen and it's not an issue.

Make sure there is nothing metal anywhere near the screen; rubber may work but it wouldn't take much for a screw or the edge of the bracket to push past the rubber and into your screen. I guess the spacer will eliminate that possibility.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know that I will not be able to eliminate all the wobbling, but I can reduce it to an acceptable level. This will also reduce the flexing of the Versys-X screen and maybe reduce plastic fatigue (is "plastic fatigue" like metal fatigue?).

The "small" windscreen extension significantly reduces air pressure on my upper body, thus reducing rider fatigue on long-distance high-speed touring (getting to and from those unsealed roads).

·
Registered
583 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My screen extender is a different design from your one. It has two attachment points instead of one. I hope it will be up to the task, but if it breaks, I will do what you have done and get the one-piece larger screen that you have. Two of my Versys-X-riding mates have the same screen, so that's what I will get if my extension shits itself and goes south.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I installed the MRA windshield and vario spoiler and have no issues. No turbulance on helmet (until higher speeds 55 plus) and NO wobble. I don't need to ever put the helmet visor down unless to protect from flying objects (mostly bugs). Best part there is no "pushed out or sucked in" when going by semi's on freeway. I believe the secret is installing the windshield with adequate spacers between the dash and shield, that will allow air to flow up the inside mixing with air coming over the front side and equalizes the air flow.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
195 Posts
I installed the MRA windshield and vario spoiler and have no issues. No turbulance on helmet (until higher speeds 55 plus) and NO wobble. I don't need to ever put the helmet visor down unless to protect from flying objects (mostly bugs). Best part there is no "pushed out or sucked in" when going by semi's on freeway. I believe the secret is installing the windshield with adequate spacers between the dash and shield, that will allow air to flow up the inside mixing with air coming over the front side and equalizes the air flow.
The MRA windshield looks quite small like about the size of the OEM windshield. Does it stop the helmet buffeting? I found the OEM to cause helmet buffeting and noise to be unacceptable. I've just finished a time consuming project on windshield design for the X300 and learned a lot about what it takes to stop the noise and add protection. You can see my video here - LINK: (266) Kawasaki Versys X300 2017-2022 (short version) Designing Windshields for summer and winter - YouTube

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,442 Posts
Try shifting the "Angle of Attack" of the air flow which might solve your problem. If a wind screen (Angle) is wrong mounted againt the flow of air then you will encounter all sort of problem. To reduce air turbulence from traffic keep a safe distance which might work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The MRA windshield looks quite small like about the size of the OEM windshield. Does it stop the helmet buffeting? I found the OEM to cause helmet buffeting and noise to be unacceptable. I've just finished a time consuming project on windshield design for the X300 and learned a lot about what it takes to stop the noise and add protection. You can see my video here - LINK: (266) Kawasaki Versys X300 2017-2022 (short version) Designing Windshields for summer and winter - YouTube
I'll measure the MRA, it's a little taller and wider. You can't use bark busters at least that is what they say because of the width. And yes I played a lot with spacers to get the angle of the screen right for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts