Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some summer riding gear suggestions, specifically flannels with Kevlar and mesh jackets. I live in SoCal and it will be warm soon. Was looking at Speed and Strength flannels. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
16,220 Posts

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Don't think those flannels will have much slide protection unless they also have a layer of Kevlar. If they have a layer of Kevlar, they won't be very cool.

Check out the gear at motoport. Motoport USA | Custom Motorcycle Apparel Custom made to fit you correctly. Off the shelf loose fitting gear flaps around in the wind and the armor will likely move when you have a get off so chances it may not provide impact protection. motoport makes an open mesh jacket out of open weave Kevlar.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I use revit tornado jacket and pants, it has the best liners I know of, take them off and it flows air like nothing else and put them on to keep you dry even in pouring rain. Quiet warm as well.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Look at my thread back on 6/16/16 titled Mesh Jackets. I did a run down of a few that I tried on and have used. I love my cheap Xceliment, but it was black, and had some other issues, so I looked for something new. Ended up going with the Joe Rocket Ion in the silver mesh. Great Jacket, and it has the built illuminating sections on the shoulders. With the vest and waterproof liner, this is good down into the 30 to 40 degree range. Might be getting the Joe Rocket mesh pants this year, or the Fly Cool Pro 2 pants.

Tried the Speed & Strength "Dogs of War" pants last summer, but the fit was weird. I have an average build, being 5'10" at 170 lbs. The 34" waist was roomy, but the 32" legs, especially below the knees were way too tight, and the knee pads were out of place.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I use revit tornado jacket and pants, it has the best liners I know of, take them off and it flows air like nothing else and put them on to keep you dry even in pouring rain. Quiet warm as well.
+1 for Tornado 2, love this gear!

Quality of materials and competition has improved a lot in recent years, even some of the lower cost gear offers good fit and features previously only available on the best brands. To some extent, you still get what you pay for.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Suggest looking for some high quality mesh gear. Olympia make great stuff as do Rev'It and Dainese. Joe Rocket are again making decent gear at the lower price point. The Kevlar knit that is put into cheap motorcycle jeans and other street clothes like flannels for protection has limited value. The fit and ultimately the protection offered by pads varies widely and is usually linked to price.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have Olympia jacket and pants. Both are mesh with zip in quilted liners. Riding in summer the breeze flows right through them, and with the liners in I can ride down to the low 40s comfortably.

·
Registered
6 Posts
+1 on motorcyclegear. com , got a good deal on a mesh joe rocket jacket for my wife, works well in the So. Ut desert heat

·
Super Moderator
19,630 Posts
M - E - S - H, w/ armor. I have several sets from different manufacturers between AZ and BC, and I've ONLY ever been 'down' once wearing mesh - lowsided at about 20 mph w/ very minor damage - to me OR the gear.

Maybe silviefox can jump in w/ how much damage...?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts