Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have an 09 and wondering what all yinz do for maintenance besides engine oil every year? I found a guide on this site for an 07 at https://www.kawasakiversys.com/2007-Kawasaki-Versys-Service-Manual.pdf and it mentions the following ..

- Air cleaner element cleaning (2 yrs)
- Coolant (3 yrs - 24k)
- Brake fluid (2 yrs - 15k, 30k)
- Spark plugs (15k, 24k, 30k)

There's some 4 yr (30k) items listed as well.

I'm at 15k now so looks like I need to consider air cleaner element cleaning, brake fluid and plugs? Also, is the fluid for the transmission same as the engine oil? Anything else? Coolant will be coming up in another year or so looks like.

Anyhow, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi all,

I have an 09 and wondering what all yinz do for maintenance besides engine oil every year? I found a guide on this site for an 07 at https://www.kawasakiversys.com/2007-Kawasaki-Versys-Service-Manual.pdf and it mentions the following ..

- Coolant (3 yrs - 24k)

I'm at 15k now so looks like I need to consider air cleaner element cleaning, brake fluid and plugs? Also, is the fluid for the transmission same as the engine oil? Anything else? Coolant will be coming up in another year or so looks like.

Yes Engine and trans are the same fluid.
With the age of OUR bikes I own a 2008.
I am kinda more on the once a year minimum thing.Check all rubber parts on the bike such as water hoses,Brake hoses, valve stems on tires,rubber Grommets that hold your side panels ETC.Coolant is a once a year thing for me as it does not take much and is a easy job.Brake Fluid, If its not clear in color change it.Brake pads. Air filter is every spring minimum for me I live in a dusty area.I always look at it if I have the tank off. I would also do a Valve check.I did mine at 16000 and all of the Intake valves were tight.And of course Chain and Sprockets.Wheel bearings if your gonna have the wheels off and steering stem as well while you have the wheel off.All of these things are not required if you are the original Owner and have been keeping up on things BUt if you bought a used bike like I did I would be looking over everything.

·
Super Moderator
7,676 Posts
weather the coolant comes in a year or so, always check coolant level and keep to marked level.

Those recommended mileage service depend a lot on your ride. I drop my oil every 4k km and rest depend on my ride.

·
Super Moderator
18,822 Posts
...I'm at 15k now so looks like I need to consider air cleaner element cleaning, brake fluid and plugs?...
For ME - spark-plug change, air-filter, and valve clearances are ALL part of ONE operation - I ensure valve clearances are at the LOOSE end of the range.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the comments here. For coolant, I'm thinking regular car anti-freeze 50/50 with distilled water. I'll google it to make sure. And I'll look for an air filter online (probably amazon) and valves when I take it in for inspection next month.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Be sure to use the correct type of coolant.

I really like "Engine Ice" brand. It really does work better than regular coolants, plus it comes properly diluted already.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Hi all,

- Coolant (3 yrs - 24k)

An FYI on maintenance intervals. Those stating a time frame and mileage interval ar for whatever comes first. You really should not go longer than two years on brake fluids or coolant. The fluids are cheap and the repercussions can be severe($$$).

And yes, check the valves and set them to the loose end. My exhaust valves were at minimum or less at 12k miles. I reset to the loose end and at last check at about 55k miles they had not moved since the original resetting. And my bike is ridden "very spiritedly", mostly in the mountains.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts