Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
been a bad week mechanically for me, first my car timing belt goes - have yet to determine the level of damage on that one,

then, versys 650 develops a miss...

bike is predominantly a hot dry weather ride, but got left out in a couple of recent torrential downpours.

anyways, miss has developed over last 2 days, starts after a few miles (so when engine is hot).

took out and inspected coils and plugs, plugs looked good (only 2000 miles old) and coils are original (12,000) and looked OK.

tested coils 1.6 ohms on primary and 14.6k Ohms on secondary for both.

i am making the assumption that one of the coils is failing when hot and I should replace both (aftermarket available on evilbay for $30 each)

is this a safe assumption, is there anything else i should test/consider

fuel pump was replaced about 1000 miles ago.

tia, Glen

·
Registered
8,000 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
how hot are we tallking?
in the 40C (100F), it can be vapor lock, even on a fuel injection (in the fuel rail). It happened to me on the ninja 650 (same system).

to be sure: when you turn off ignition and back on (fuel pump re-pressuring), does it run again for a small while?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a similar problem after riding through a large rainstorm. In my case it turned out to be the kickstand down switch. Water worked into the switch and the bike would missfire on the highway at high speed and run perfectly well in stop/go traffic. I opened and cleaned the switch and contacts and this solved my problem.

Sent from mTalk

·
Super Moderator
19,635 Posts
...I opened and cleaned the switch and contacts and this solved my problem....
A spray w/ WD40 would do the same for you.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Would these coil sticks also be considered as an "upgrade" on a Gen 3?
Thank you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts