Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a valve clearance check and found them to be in spec and within .001. This is at 10.7k miles. So with the time I saved, I thought I'd try modding the sub-throttle plates. Seems like a lot of people have taken them out and then put them back in, on many different bikes. I trimmed 4mm off the radius of each plate and tapered that radius so the area across the shaft wasn't changed. I can tell you that 4mm isn't too far as there is no bogging or hesitation that I noticed. 3mm would definitely be safe.
Is there a benefit? I can say that it definitely didn't hurt anything, and even though I perceive it to accelerate harder, I have no way of quantifying that. At least I don't have to pull it back apart to put them back in! It's an easy mod to do if you have the airbox off, so give it a shot.
Heat the single screw with a soldering iron for a minute to loosen up any thread sealant (seems like it was only on 1 screw), then back out the screw. Mod the plate; I used a good pair of scissors that cut the 1mm aluminum with ease, then stuck them together and filed them to match. Blue loctite on the screw and you're done.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Could you explain me the benefit of remove those plates?
I heard that it improves the middle range acceleration... I heard too that they are there to smooth acceleration on that range... What is the truth?
I would like to hear those good-technical explanations from our friend Invader... if possible :rolleyes:
Thank you!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts