Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... so I decided I was overdue on adjusting my chain. This would be the first ttime myself on the bike. I went out and purchased a nice 1/2 inch torque wrench and a 27mm socket. Got it on the jack... removed the cotter pin..attempt to turn the axle nut left (loose) and it won't budge.

So here I am. Confused, angry , upset.

Manual says 90lbs of torque. I'm sure I was pushing down at like 180. What the heck!!!

Questions.. 1) you turn the side with the chain, right ? 2) you turn left or counterclockwise right? 3) could the shop have used an air wrench thus making it impossible for me to turn this damn thing ?

Any suggestions or help would be great.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Counterclockwise is correct. You might get better stability with the bike off the stand to break the nut loose, then back onto the stand. Also sounds like you will need to add a "cheater" bar to your ratchet, I just use a short piece of pipe that slips over the handle for more leverage.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Counterclockwise is correct. You might get better stability with the bike off the stand to break the nut loose, then back onto the stand. Also sounds like you will need to add a "cheater" bar to your ratchet, I just use a short piece of pipe that slips over the handle for more leverage.
+1 Take that thing and pop that nut free! Support it with one hand holding the nut and just pop it with your other arm. Use the cheater if yu have too. :thumb: :goodluck:

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Use a ratchet NOT your nice new Torque Wrench to break the nut free. It's not a good thing to do with a torque wrench and it can knock it out of calibration.

I picked up a 24" 1/2" drive breaker bar for those hard to turn nuts and bolts, and I've bent it on a car!

I agree break the nut free with the bike on the side stand NOT a lift. Remember, Lefty Loosy, Righty Tighty. Turn the nut by pulling UP on it, chain side.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had the same problem, even a 300 lb guy stomping on a breaking bar couldn't break it free. In the end, I heated the nut up with a bic lighter for a minute and it popped right loose. Good luck!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Question. Why pull up and not push down? Too much pressure on the side stand ?
It's really a matter of safety. I've worked with my hands turning wrenches most of my life was was always taught to pull never push.

When you're pushing a wrench and it breaks free you have no control your hand shoots forward until it bashs into something, busted knuckle! :censored:

By Pulling on the wrench you can feel it starting to turn and slack off so you can control things better.

No magic to make the job easier other than less blood to clean up. ;)

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Damnit. I was just there today picking up the tools I needed once the axle was loose. I'll check it out !

Glad I'm not the only one who has an issue with this.

Question. Why pull up and not push down? Too much pressure on the side stand ?
Just an excuse to go back and get another tool. :thumb:

As far as which way, as long as you are going in the correct direction, it does not matter. I usually sit behind the wheel and use a regular length ratchet on the right (non-cotter pin side) to hold and push forward on the breaker bar on the left. There may be an easier way, but that works for me! :goodluck:

·
Registered
269 Posts
I recently needed to loosen the rear wheel to make roon to remove the standard ca. It was a right bastard to loosen... :censored: I'm sure they do them up extra tight at build just for a laugh....! :D

·
Registered
770 Posts
I have an electric impact wrench I picked up on sale for $60. It is awesome for removing stuck bolts like this and makes short work out of installing/removing snow tires on the cars (mounted on their own set of steel rims).

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
The pop sound when I finally broke the nut loose was scary, sank my heart, thought something broke. Nothing broke, just a sudden release of energy manifested in a loud pop.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I do mine the same as Capn Kirk. The first time i didn't realize the axle was spinning on the other side where the rear brake is I only had one wrench that time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts