Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at street studs, not ice or sheet metal screws. I need to make my commute a little more manageable.

Has anyone here done this before? I am looking for opinions and advice.

·
Super Moderator
19,395 Posts
My experience was sheet-metal screws in knobbies (and I ice-raced a bit). On hard-pack they worked great, and on ice they were UNREAL! You could bank till the pegs were dragging, EASILY. However, they were NO good on pavement that was clear of ice, so you had to be extremely careful and really limit bank angles, or else you were DOWN. I imagine any kind of studs will give you the same results. :goodluck:

Oh yah - the pattern of the screws was VERY important. Done correctly the studs "pulled" you into turns, while done wrong it became "high-side" city!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Found out about these on ADVrider. Some of the guys swear by them. They are self tapping carbide studs.

·
Registered
624 Posts
How about the studded tires on public transit? Alot warmer, safer, more boring and tedious, plus it protects you from the real hazard.......idiots in cars, trucks and the almighty SUV.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How about the studded tires on public transit? Alot warmer, safer, more boring and tedious, plus it protects you from the real hazard.......idiots in cars, trucks and the almighty SUV.
Only on the very worst days Bob. Otherwise, I ride!:)

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
I guess the scooter ice studs could be screwed in street tires, but they'd be dangerous on bare pavement... SuperMotard rain tires are well grooved, and made of a softer compound which would work better in the cold. They tend to be more expensive, and wear quickly in hot dry conditions though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts