Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
'17 Versys 650
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently got one of these (https://safer-turn.com/smart-brake-module/) in the mail.

Has anyone else installed one? Where did you mount it? According to the manufacturer, it needs to be mounted level to the ground, but most of the space under the seat of my '17 Versys has quite the slant to it, so I'm not sure how best to install the thing.

I did find a video of someone installing a smart turn signal module from the same company in a Z650, which they mounted on top of the battery. Seems like an odd choice to me though.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Just recently got one of these (https://safer-turn.com/smart-brake-module/) in the mail.

Has anyone else installed one? Where did you mount it? According to the manufacturer, it needs to be mounted level to the ground, but most of the space under the seat of my '17 Versys has quite the slant to it, so I'm not sure how best to install the thing.

I did find a video of someone installing a smart turn signal module from the same company in a Z650, which they mounted on top of the battery. Seems like an odd choice to me though.
Are you installing a smart brake module or a smart turn signal module?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

I'm installing the brake module.
On my 2015 Versys 650, I have installed a GearBrake (GB-1) Smart Brake Light Module which also needs to be level.

In order to set it up level to the ground, I flipped it sideways and used velcro to attach it to the black plastic panel on the right side of the bike (under the seat a bit to the rear of the battery).

HTH

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,107 Posts
Smart Brake

On my 2015 Versys 650, I have installed a GearBrake (GB-1) Smart Brake Light Module which also needs to be level.

In order to set it up level to the ground, I flipped it sideways and used velcro to attach it to the black plastic panel on the right side of the bike (under the seat a bit to the rear of the battery).

HTH
Just curious of the cost and the source. I have alot of extra lighting and have the Admore mini light bar and generally I use either front or rear lightly while engine braking, I also have a homemade brake flasher that pulses the brake light the first 3 seconds before going solid. If the price was right, this appears attractive , as from my perspective as a car and service truck driver, very easy to check your mirrors and miss someone on a bike slowing down, very easy not to notice the brake light getting brighter.
90% of my braking I know what is behind me and how close, it is the 10% that this would be handy. Everyone knows , in a accident the bike rider is going to come out the worst.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Just curious of the cost and the source. I have alot of extra lighting and have the Admore mini light bar and generally I use either front or rear lightly while engine braking, I also have a homemade brake flasher that pulses the brake light the first 3 seconds before going solid. If the price was right, this appears attractive , as from my perspective as a car and service truck driver, very easy to check your mirrors and miss someone on a bike slowing down, very easy not to notice the brake light getting brighter.
90% of my braking I know what is behind me and how close, it is the 10% that this would be handy. Everyone knows , in a accident the bike rider is going to come out the worst.
I purchased it on Amazon.ca for $72.00 in December 2018. The price is now raised but it is probably available on the net for less.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00ODR69QK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use it for my topcase only. When I slow down without braking, it flashes approximately 5 times and then shuts OFF. When I brake, it flashes approximately 5 or 6 times and stays ON.

Note: In addition to the above, my Versys has a Blaster-X Integrated LED Tail Light https://www.motorcycleinnovations.ca/CustomLED_p/13_300_rev0a_pi2_wl.htm
and Hyper-Lites flashing LED brake lights. https://hyperlites.com/stdsf.html/

I was once lightly nudged on the rear of my Versys by a distracted soccer mom in a SUV. That is what motivated me to set up my brake lights as explained above. It's QUITE conspicuous. :)

·
Premium Member
9,107 Posts
I purchased it on Amazon.ca for $72.00 in December 2018. The price is now raised but it is probably available on the net for less.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00ODR69QK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use it for my topcase only. When I slow down without braking, it flashes approximately 5 times and then shuts OFF. When I brake, it flashes approximately 5 or 6 times and stays ON.

Note: In addition to the above, my Versys has a Blaster-X Integrated LED Tail Light https://www.motorcycleinnovations.ca/CustomLED_p/13_300_rev0a_pi2_wl.htm
and Hyper-Lites flashing LED brake lights. https://hyperlites.com/stdsf.html/

I was once lightly nudged on the rear of my Versys by a distracted soccer mom in a SUV. That is what motivated me to set up my brake lights as explained above. It's QUITE conspicuous. :)
Just ordered it direct $60 Canadian including shipping.

·
Registered
'17 Versys 650
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I'm installing the brake module.

HTH
Hmm. That would almost work, but the STS module has to be either logo side up (solid brake light when slowing) or logo down (flashing brake light), so I couldn't mount it sideways like that.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Hmm. That would almost work, but the STS module has to be either logo side up (solid brake light when slowing) or logo down (flashing brake light), so I couldn't mount it sideways like that.
Did you ask them? You have nothing to lose... :D

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

If you glance at the attached pic, which is a screen capture taken from the STS web site,
you'll see that their module is mounted sideways.

I would certainly not hesitate to try it. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,107 Posts
Gear Brake Light Module / My Turn to be Lazy

The instructions sent with this module resemble the size they are printed on. Since I have numerous added devices including a brake flasher my son made, where I can select the duration and length of flashes , I have very little real-estate left and wish to know the orientation of mounting this flasher .
I am also using the newly explained mention method since I am not quoting but wish to acknowledge @quexpress

·
Registered
172 Posts
I just received my STS Smart Brake Module as well. Might get around to installing it this weekend.

As for the GearBrake device @quexpress mentioned, I just looked it up and they seem to be dumping their inventory at very low prices - business is liquidating, perhaps? $35 for the flashing module and only $10 for the non-flashing one. I don't have this so I can't speak to its quality, and don't expect a warranty if the company might indeed be going out of business, but that's cheap. https://gearbrake.com/collections/shop

·
Registered
105 Posts
I took a small bubble level and placed it on my STS - Smart Brake Module. When it's approximately level the front of the module is about 0.6" higher in the front, where I have mine mounted.

Sensor module measures: 1.9"L X 1.28" W X 1.03" D

So I took a small piece of foam and cut a wedge shape out of it. Making the front edge 0.6" (15mm) higher than the back edge. I put a small piece of double-sided carpet tape to stick the foam to the sensor module. I used foam so that I can squish it down and squeeze it under the seat latch bracket on the right side of the bike.

This picture shows where I stuff the sensor module under the seat latch bracket.

• Sensor Arrow facing the front wheel.
  • If label side up the tail lamp will glow steadily under deceleration.
  • If label side down the tail lamp will flash briefly under deceleration.

Final STS Smart Brake Module location, I just wrap the wiring in a loop (arrows).

Looking from the tail light side towards the front wheel.

From up top:

·
Registered
172 Posts
I took a small bubble level and placed it on my STS - Smart Brake Module. When it's approximately level the front of the module is about 0.6" higher in the front, where I have mine mounted.
I'm assuming it works like this? I haven't gotten mine to work yet, and I have it in this location, but apparently it is not quite level enough and I haven't had the time to spare to get it level.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm assuming it works like this? I haven't gotten mine to work yet, and I have it in this location, but apparently it is not quite level enough and I haven't had the time to spare to get it level.
Yes, it's working as it's supposed to do. I flipped the module upside down so it goes into flashing mode.

I rode up and down our street a couple of times and had a co-worker who also rides street bikes watch my tail lights.

I rode without touching the brake levers, and it flashed (slowly) when I got off the throttle.

I had him record it on my iPhone and saw it flash the brake lights when I got off the gas. It flashed more slowly than I thought it would, but it is working as designed. I would have liked it better if it flashed more quickly.

It was installed on the bike when I purchased it, so I don't have the manual. I'll check to see if there is a method to adjust the flash rate. Otherwise I'm fine with it as is. It's working...

·
Premium Member
9,107 Posts
Smart brake / Gear Brake / Update later

So probably one of those stuck threads, fortunately I knew one poster and the words smart turn signal.
So when admin gets back in the saddle , and we get some improvements I can then find it using my subscribed link.

Also the price was something like $36 USD delivered.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts