Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Which would you buy?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Edit- Ended up with the black 2010 Gen 2 馃槑

I have 3 that I am looking at. One from each of the first three generations.

Gen 1 bike is a blue 2009 with 9,900 miles on the clock. Has SW-Motech engine guards, bark busters, and mirror extensions. You can see some scars on the left engine case from a previous lay down. Tires do not match, rear is a street tire, front looks like an adventure tire. Dealer wants $4,599 for it.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Gen 2 bike is on FB marketplace. It's a black 2010, with 12,500 miles. Seller has it listed for $4,200. Bike is completely stock.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle

Gen 3 bike is a white 2015, appears to be a leftover, as it has only 59 miles on it. They want $6,499 for it. It's 2.5 hours away in another state, but that's not a big deal to me.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Trip computer Speedometer Odometer Vehicle Automotive lighting

Been reading on here and watching as much on YouTube as I can on all 3 generations. I like the looks of all of them honestly as they are each cool in their own regards. I am 6'3" tall, 250 pounds. I live by the mountains in northeast Georgia so it will see some curves if that matters. I am leaning towards the 2015, but is it still too much for a 2015?

Attachments

Registered
I can't comment on the pricing other than to say the value is pretty high for the $$ spent. You have to go to a much more expensive machine to find improvements. Lots of joy per dollar with a Versys.

I voted for the newer bike in large part because it is newer. Plus it may have the factory warranty. The older bikes may well need some maintenance just due to age, such as tires, plugs, ignition wires, and various soft parts like hoses or seals. The older bikes may have corrosion in the throttle and clutch cables, or even hidden damage. Other surprises could include the battery needing replacement very soon. Air filter, brake fluid, fork oil and seals, wheel bearing lube, even the chain and sprockets. Electrical gremlins are really hard to solve, so don't accept anything but perfection with the electronics.

Generally speaking, I assume all the maintenance and replacements will need to be done, which should be factored into the price. I have been burned on a used bike that to my untrained eye looked good, but ended up needing lots of work after only a few miles. By the time you add in likely maintenance expenses to bring an old bike up to good reliable and safe standards, it may not really be a savings.

My one concern on the 2015 would be possible corrosion internally. It should be fine, but if it was stored outside in humidity where moisture could condense, it is possible. This is where either a factory or dealer warranty would be helpful. These bikes are really bullet proof, so if it runs properly for a while then it should be good forever. If there is hidden corrosion, you might discover it in an oil analysis after some miles.

I would expect tires on the 2015 will be past the 5 yr safe lifespan. Plus, the OEM Dunlop tires pretty much suck. If I were buying it, I would ask the dealer to replace the tires with something a lot better (not the same Dunlops), and I would be willing to pay for it. It could be part of a price negotiation, if negotiation is even a thing right now.

There are some differences mechanically and electronically between the different generations, with Gen3 being better imho.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your input. I didn鈥檛 think about the tires and possible corrosion issue.

Registered
I would get the 2015 if it were an LT version but voted for the gen 2 model as the best value. Of course that鈥檚 basing it on the list prices not what you may be able to negotiate.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would get the 2015 if it were an LT version but voted for the gen 2 model as the best value. Of course that鈥檚 basing it on the list prices not what you may be able to negotiate.
Thanks for your input. The seller with the 2010 G2 actually got back with me last night, turns out he lives 5 minutes from me. Going to go look at it today for $4k. He sent me a video of it and it looks really clean and sounds good. It's actually the style and color I think I like the most.

Registered
Not sure what make/model of tire that G2 has on it, but is the front mounted the right way round? I doubt it makes a lot of practical difference but worth checking. Negotiate an extra $100 off it isn't :).

Registered
Thanks for your input. The seller with the 2010 G2 actually got back with me last night, turns out he lives 5 minutes from me. Going to go look at it today for $4k. He sent me a video of it and it looks really clean and sounds good. It's actually the style and color I think I like the most.
Just so you're aware ahead of time, the 2010 is about ready for a valve check at ~15,000 miles. I just had mine done and it was around $400 to have the dealer to it. I just wasn't comfortable tackling that job. Just making you aware of that expense ahead of time.

I voted for the G3, because I like the looks better, but that 2010 seems like a pretty good deal.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure what make/model of tire that G2 has on it, but is the front mounted the right way round? I doubt it makes a lot of practical difference but worth checking. Negotiate an extra $100 off it isn't :).
I planned on putting a set of Pilot Road 5鈥檚 on whatever bike I chose as they probably all need tires.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just so you're aware ahead of time, the 2010 is about ready for a valve check at ~15,000 miles. I just had mine done and it was around $400 to have the dealer to it. I just wasn't comfortable tackling that job. Just making you aware of that expense ahead of time.

I voted for the G3, because I like the looks better, but that 2010 seems like a pretty good deal.
I was actually a motorcycle mechanic in the past so it鈥檚 a job I don鈥檛 mind taking on. Thanks for the heads up though as I hadn鈥檛 looked to see what the mileage was to have it checked.

Registered
Just some random thoughts.

In 2011 I bought my Versys brand new for well below MSRP because we were still in a recession. I passed on an '09 that I could have bought for $3000 because of the excess vibration in the 1st gen bikes.

I recall that there weren't many 2010 Versys 650s produced because of the recession so you will be getting a rare color in a bike that didn't sell huge numbers to begin with.

I would definitely want to know the history of the 2015 before I made the purchase. Better if it was found in a crate in NM and first registered in 2020, than if it was registered in 2015 and sat for 6 years.

Personally I think the 2nd gen is the best looking Versys 650. Good luck.

Registered
Good point on if if sat a long time or not.. .worth asking.

Otherwise, go for most recent gen. I bought a 2019 last summer with 3800kms on it.
Most recent - all the improvements and latest tech. The 3rd gen is ridiculously smooth. After 5000rpm you feel nothing, it's near 'electric' type smooth.

Super Moderator
...I passed on an '09 that I could have bought for $3000 because of the excess vibration in the 1st gen bikes....
W/ almost 100,000 miles on MY Gen 1 (an '08), I've YET to see any ..."excess vibration"....

As for $4599 for that '09 - I bought one NEW as a 'left-over' in Nov '10 for almost EXACTLY that price, then rode it for 62,790 kms when it became an insurance "write-off" after low-siding it in the Yukon, and the insurance pay-out in '15 was $5,300. IF that hadn't happened - I'd still be riding it!

DSC06463 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Registered
2016 650LT
Edit- Ended up with the black 2010 Gen 2 馃槑

I have 3 that I am looking at. One from each of the first three generations.

Gen 1 bike is a blue 2009 with 9,900 miles on the clock. Has SW-Motech engine guards, bark busters, and mirror extensions. You can see some scars on the left engine case from a previous lay down. Tires do not match, rear is a street tire, front looks like an adventure tire. Dealer wants $4,599 for it.
View attachment 185276
View attachment 185281

Gen 2 bike is on FB marketplace. It's a black 2010, with 12,500 miles. Seller has it listed for $4,200. Bike is completely stock.
View attachment 185277

Gen 3 bike is a white 2015, appears to be a leftover, as it has only 59 miles on it. They want $6,499 for it. It's 2.5 hours away in another state, but that's not a big deal to me.
View attachment 185278
View attachment 185279

Been reading on here and watching as much on YouTube as I can on all 3 generations. I like the looks of all of them honestly as they are each cool in their own regards. I am 6'3" tall, 250 pounds. I live by the mountains in northeast Georgia so it will see some curves if that matters. I am leaning towards the 2015, but is it still too much for a 2015?
I would go for the 2015. Kawasaki is great about getting you the warranty issued in your name. I bought a 2016 from a one owner and they were great and fast at getting me the transfer of warranty. I had a 2009 prior to this one. Both solid machines. Very little difference really. I have the LT version now and I like having the bags. I also like that it has a gear position indicator. Both have/had the same add-ons pretty much. Just my .02

Premium Member
I just did a post about gen 2-over my 2015

Reactions: Rob80x
1 - 20 of 22 Posts