Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to switch out my stock mirrors (with extenders) and put my bar ends back on, and the bolt was so frozen that I ended up stripping the hex head. Speedy's solution is to drill through the extender and the bolt with a 1/4 bit and use the bit as a lever to remove the bolt. Any other suggestions? And no, I did not use any locktite. Guess I don't know my own strength.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I would stop at a good hardware store and ask about bolt extractors.
The look something like a tap but with a left hand twist.
They are sometimes called "easy outs".

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Loads of good penetrating lube and a revers brill bit and or bolt extractor and don't get a cheap on if it snaps you up a creak .. Another option is take a cutting wheel and cut a slit along the top and make it a big standard screw

·
Super Moderator
19,595 Posts
Loads of good penetrating lube and a revers brill bit and or bolt extractor and don't get a cheap on if it snaps you up a creak .. Another option is take a cutting wheel and cut a slit along the top and make it a big standard screw
I've done what sylvie suggests.

:thumb:

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
yep - soak it wit lube first. you can even heat cycle it if you have a small enough torch to warm the bolt up then cool it with lube then repeat (this draws the lube into tighter places) then bolt extractor

if that fails then I grind a slot and use an impact driver with flat blade bit to extract.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts