Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, for those of you who have been following my epic journey into the Versys world, I now need your help on a helmet.

I have my MX helmet, but it is way too noisy.

I must say, I expect it to be hard to adapt to riding w/o a visor. I'm use to having it to shield from the sun and roost. Can I modify my MX helmet or is there a reasonably priced helmet that is similar? Should I just bite the bullet and buy a full on street helmet? I'm only considering a full face...

Thanks,

Shaun

·
Registered
875 Posts
Budget and taste.
If you wanna save money and can wait check the closeout section on bikebandit or one of the other internet sites.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,186 Posts
Best thing to do would go to a dealer or cycle store and see what helmet best fits your head. then decide if you want a full face or modular helmet. I have a Scorpion EXO-900 Modular Helmet which i really really like plenty of padding has an inside sunshield,Very little road noise etc etc. I did try on a Shoei Modular a couple of weeks ago and it seems i have a Shoei Head felt great but not as much padding as the Scorpion.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Zox are great cheap helmets. I haven't ridden an Arai but I have had a Shoei. For $100 they are a great start. Here's the webbike review on them:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/zox-helmets/zox-azuma-r.htm

I bought a nice HJC flip-up, the new fancy one with the flip down visor built in, but he dealer talked me into a M when I wear a L - "It has to fit snug!" he says. But it's way too freakin' tight so wifey will wear it. It was almost twice the price of the Zox. Check 'em out.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
In my view, buy a cheaper road helmet to you get used of riding and really know what you want, after a while you will probably get your eye on a really good one and the cheaper helmet a good spare for when you go two up.

·
Premium Member
7,841 Posts
OK, for those of you who have been following my epic journey into the Versys world, I now need your help on a helmet.

I have my MX helmet, but it is way too noisy.

I must say, I expect it to be hard to adapt to riding w/o a visor. I'm use to having it to shield from the sun and roost. Can I modify my MX helmet or is there a reasonably priced helmet that is similar? Should I just bite the bullet and buy a full on street helmet? I'm only considering a full face...

Thanks,

Shaun
Get a ear plug and save the $$. Most Helmets are noisy unless your are looking at Schumi C3.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I have a Icon Varient, which looks like a dirtbike helmet with a visor. Not too loud and has decent aerodynamics for highway use. But it was not cheap, around $350. Other companies make cheaper versions, but I have not tried any.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Every helmet is noisy.
Actually wind and engines and tires scrubbing the road are noisy, but you get what I mean.
Use earplugs to solve that.

No matter if it is 100$ or 700$ helmet important thing is that it fits you well.
Try as many as you can.
When I was getting mine I tried all the top of the line makes/models and all but one felt terrible against my face and skull.

If you want to combine MX and Street riding there are new breed of 'dual sport helmets' with removable beak and visor witch can even be used with goggles.
http://www.revzilla.com/dual-sport-helmets

There are also a few with built in sun screen that you can flip up or down.

·
Registered
224 Posts
helmets

For Florida try to find a helmet with vents and a removable liner so you can wash it. I have 3 HJC with vents and removable liners.
To save money, I find a helmet that fits then shop on-line for the best price.

Cb

·
Registered
508 Posts
Looks like all the info is already been passed to you and agree try on as many as you can. If the shoei happens to be a good fit the X-11 which was the top of the line has been replaced with the X-12 and you can now get the X-11 really cheap. It happens to be the helmet that feels the best t me so when the price dropped I got another for less then half of what I paid for the first one.

·
Registered
92 Posts
You might check-out the new Shoei Qwest. They run around $350 and received a stellar review on Web Bike World. Strongly recommend a full face helmet for street riding.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Turn off the computer and try some helmets on and buy the one that fits best. Never buy helmets, gloves, or boots without trying them on first. You would be shocked at how different they fit. My 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, favorites didn't fit me well. I learned the hard way a few years ago when I got a "deal" on a helmet I ordered until I actually tried it on. I kept it because I was to lazy to deal with the hassle of returning it, like most people. I found some good deals at local shops and was way more comfortable.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Lot's of good advice already posted but no matter what, get and WEAR earplugs.

·
Registered
374 Posts
newenough.com
motorcyclecloseouts.com

both are good places, with new enough being the better of the 2.

Don't go cheap, get a quality helmet, that fits like it is supposed too. different manufactures fit different head shapes.

Also wear ear plugs with your helmet, it will make your riding much more enjoyable. And save you from needing a miracle ear before it is time...lol

God forbid, that helmet hits the pavement with your head in it, you dont want to be thinking dang I should have bought a better helmet. Trust me head trauma, is 100 times more expensive than the best helmet you can buy.

Todd

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a Icon Varient, which looks like a dirtbike helmet with a visor. Not too loud and has decent aerodynamics for highway use. But it was not cheap, around $350. Other companies make cheaper versions, but I have not tried any.
I am a HUGE fan of Icon, and would highly recommend the Varient as it sounds like it will satisfy your needs, I get all my Icon gear at a good discount, PM me for my dealer as Icon is pretty specific about discounts. Good luck, let us know what you end up with!

Rob

http://www.rideicon.com/product_details.jsp?category=3427&id=12187

1 - 20 of 33 Posts