Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all.

I have a 2015 versys 650 at 32000 km and she has a squeaking sound. The sound comes only between 3000 rpm and 3500 rpm in every gear, sometimes even in neutral gear, and then goes away. Could you please listen the sound in the link below and tell me what causes this sound if you know.

Please listen with headphones as the loud wind noise hides the squeak.

·
Super Moderator
20,798 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,798 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,021 Posts
One advantage of hearing loss, you don't hear squeaking sounds, my loss is 27DB at 1500HZ, below and above HZ are normal. That frequency matches the female voice frequency🤣🤣🤣:confused:--Oh well --and I still wear earplugs riding--new hearing aids coming Friday-I will check back and see if I hear anything different :geek:

·
Premium Member
10,021 Posts
Welcome from Canada

Reactions: Digitto

·
Registered
474 Posts
Welcome from Croatia.

Sound which I hear between 0:11 - 0:18 I think that I heard something similar on my 2018 Versys 650 when I buy them. It is my first motorbike ever so I heard all kind of sounds.
But if I’m not mistaken for something like that I can hear when there is no wind and I am in 5th or in 6th gear at low revs and then the engine “suffers” and I would say that’s when I hear sound similar to this on your video..
I wear earplugs always so I don’t pay much attention to the sounds anymore.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Wearing earplugs now after not wearing them is a big relief. Quiet muffler and all the little engine sounds and buzzes were started to drive me nuts. Reminds me of my dog that would hide from fireworks, got worse every year. When she got old she went deaf, problem solved!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FWIW - I didn't hear anything unusual.
Didn't you hear the squeaking sound especially at that 20th second? Could you please listen the video with the earphone again? This sound did not exist when my motorcycle was around 31000 km. It started coming later. a subtle sound, like the sound of a car's belt slipping.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome from Croatia.

Sound which I hear between 0:11 - 0:18 I think that I heard something similar on my 2018 Versys 650 when I buy them. It is my first motorbike ever so I heard all kind of sounds.
But if I’m not mistaken for something like that I can hear when there is no wind and I am in 5th or in 6th gear at low revs and then the engine “suffers” and I would say that’s when I hear sound similar to this on your video..
I wear earplugs always so I don’t pay much attention to the sounds anymore.
Thank you... I also wear earplugs, but I can hear the squeaking sound, especially at this 21st second, despite the earplugs. By the way, since there is also wind noise in the video, you may not hear the squeaking sound I mentioned without earphones.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wearing earplugs now after not wearing them is a big relief. Quiet muffler and all the little engine sounds and buzzes were started to drive me nuts. Reminds me of my dog that would hide from fireworks, got worse every year. When she got old she went deaf, problem solved!
:) Unfortunately, I can hear this sound clearly even though I wear earplugs.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It sounds like some sort of sheet metal part that is loose and vibrating and rubbing against something else. Not sure what it would be but that's what it sounds like. I'd start looking for bolts that vibrated loose and fell off. Almost reminds me of the sound of a loose heat shield on a catalytic convertor on a car.

·
Registered
474 Posts
It sounds like some sort of sheet metal part that is loose and vibrating and rubbing against something else. Not sure what it would be but that's what it sounds like. I'd start looking for bolts that vibrated loose and fell off. Almost reminds me of the sound of a loose heat shield on a catalytic convertor on a car.
I hear similar sound on my V650 specialy when I am in 6-th gear and I am driving 70km/h or little lower sometimes 65-70km/h.
At that speed and in low RPM it has a very special sound that can be easily heard through the ear plugs when there are no wind noise.
And it should be the same sound that Digitto hears also.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hear similar sound on my V650 specialy when I am in 6-th gear and I am driving 70km/h or little lower sometimes 65-70km/h.
At that speed and in low RPM it has a very special sound that can be easily heard through the ear plugs when there are no wind noise.
And it should be the same sound that Digitto hears also.
May be but I hear this sound only from 3000 to 3500 rpm in all gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
474 Posts
I didn't pay so much attention at other speeds (on my last few rides), but in the 6th at low revs there is that specific sound that makes something squeak like you said.

I just check couple of my old GoPro video and I head similar sound on video lik on your video and in 4th gear also.

Why such a sound I would not know.
But my service really inspects absolutely everything on the motorcycle and screws and lubricates everything on it so there is certainly no plastic or metal that is loose and vibrates.
And after the service I also hear that sound. So in my opinion it is completely normal and the motorcycle works OK.

·
Registered
409 Posts
May be but I hear this sound only from 3000 to 3500 rpm in all gear.

This strongly suggests it is a vibration issue. Something is loose or broken. Such as engine mounts, exhaust system, sub-frame bolts, or even the horn bracket (ask me how I know this one!). If you can cause the noise when just revving the engine, you may be able to find the source while stopped.

Try placing your hand on various spots when you hear the noise. Try checking the torque of critical fasteners. Try tapping on components with a soft mallet and listening for a similar sound (in particular the muffler). Look for red rust stains (steel parts) or black corrosion stains (aluminum parts). These typically indicate cracks or loose items.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I didn't pay so much attention at other speeds (on my last few rides), but in the 6th at low revs there is that specific sound that makes something squeak like you said.

I just check couple of my old GoPro video and I head similar sound on video lik on your video and in 4th gear also.

Why such a sound I would not know.
But my service really inspects absolutely everything on the motorcycle and screws and lubricates everything on it so there is certainly no plastic or metal that is loose and vibrates.
And after the service I also hear that sound. So in my opinion it is completely normal and the motorcycle works OK.
You’re right the motorcycle running very well. There is no other problem with it but why squeezing? Need to ask this because the sound is quite new and coming from the top of the engine if I heard it true. I just have to be sure that what is the problem if this sound is begining to damage it or not!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This strongly suggests it is a vibration issue. Something is loose or broken. Such as engine mounts, exhaust system, sub-frame bolts, or even the horn bracket (ask me how I know this one!). If you can cause the noise when just revving the engine, you may be able to find the source while stopped.

Try placing your hand on various spots when you hear the noise. Try checking the torque of critical fasteners. Try tapping on components with a soft mallet and listening for a similar sound (in particular the muffler). Look for red rust stains (steel parts) or black corrosion stains (aluminum parts). These typically indicate cracks or loose items.
This sounds very logical to me. Sure I will check them all thnx

1 - 20 of 20 Posts