Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I will try and give as much detail as I can. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

I bought a versys back in April and everything was fine. The clutch lever was quite stiff though. I needed a new rear tire so I bought and had a dealer put the tire on as where I don't have enough experience yet to do it myself. I also had them tighten my chain. Now after this was done there was a grinding like sound coming from what I thought was the front of the bike. I had started to notice the noise right away between 2500-3500 rpms, and the gear/speed did not matter. I had my friend/previous owner ride it and he figured out it was the chain. Now I didn't bother with it until a few weeks later when I could notice the noise at a higher rpm(now it's 2500-5000 rpms) I decided to take the bike to the kawasaki dealer this time. I figured I would get them to check the chain and replace it if need be. They tell me it wasn't the chain making the noise, and it's possibly the clutch. So where the clutch lever was hard to pull, they started by replacing that and it didn't help. They checked over the entire clutch and everything is fine and nothing is worn out. They tell me the next step would be to go over the transmission. Now if anybody knows, do I have a bad tranny, or could it be something else?

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Sorry about the long story but I wanted to give as much detail as possible.

Edit: 2008 with 32000kms on it. Noise only happens when I accelerate or maintain speed. Letting off the throttle makes the noise stop.

Extra Edit: After Kawasaki charged me $143 and did nothing to help the noise, I took the bike to another dealer, and had them replace the chain and sprokets. The noise is all gone! Thank you everyone who helped out!

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
i would check the clutch basket. my drz had a scared up clutch basket and it would snag a bit when pulling it in, it would snap cables and some times wouldnt fully disengage .... filed it down and got everything smooth and had the most butter clutch ever

·
Registered
32 Posts
Does it only happen while moving, or can you get the noise while it is in neutral just revving it? Symptomatically it sounds similar to the fairing buzz issue, and the noises mine makes could be called a "grinding" noise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It happens while moving. It doesn't do it while in neutral. It seems to be a consistent sound but louder at some points. As if it got louder when a certain part of the chain goes around the sprocket.

·
Registered
32 Posts
In that case, I would look at the chain with a suspicious eye as well. I'm about to replace mine too... suddenly a drive shaft bike seems pretty appealing.

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Check your chain tension. Also, remove your front sprocket cover and inspect your front sprocket for wear. See if it's a 15 tooth OEM sprocket with rubber dampers on its sides, or not. You're probably just due for a new chain and sprockets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts