Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn the key from OFF to ON there is a strange noise. It's not the fuel pump priming - I'm familiar with that noise.

There is a second noise that sounds EXACTLY like the noise you get when you turn the key on your car and the battery is dead - that "click, click, honk" noise. It lasts about 1-2 seconds. It happens 100% of the time. I'm not sure if it was there from day 1 or not. The bike starts and runs fine.

I rode by the dealer and the service manager took a quick listen and told me it was normal. Quote: "A lot of bikes do that and some are louder than others".

I bought bike new - '14 - and there is 500 miles on it.

Just looking for additional peace of mind. Thanks.

·
Registered
285 Posts
When I turn the key from OFF to ON there is a strange noise. It's not the fuel pump priming - I'm familiar with that noise.

There is a second noise that sounds EXACTLY like the noise you get when you turn the key on your car and the battery is dead - that "click, click, honk" noise. It lasts about 1-2 seconds. It happens 100% of the time. I'm not sure if it was there from day 1 or not. The bike starts and runs fine.

I rode by the dealer and the service manager took a quick listen and told me it was normal. Quote: "A lot of bikes do that and some are louder than others".

I bought bike new - '14 - and there is 500 miles on it.

Just looking for additional peace of mind. Thanks.
I have a 2013 and when I turn the key on it makes a whinning noise and another sound when I flip the kill switch, much like the sound you hear. Been like that from day 1, no problem at all... Knock on wood.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I think it's part of normal function. Don't hear it most of the time because the pump priming is louder but if the pump is already at pressure then it doesn't run and let's you hear the other startup sounds

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
key on off triggers the electric choke kill switch on the right on off will trigger fuel pump..... might be that. look at the right side of the carb (were the throttle linkage is on it) turn the key on and see if the sound correlates with the auto choke

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mine makes the same sound as yours, its a 2011. My 2012 Ninja 650 does not. It does sound like a bad connection or solenoid with a dead battery, but I bought mine was new in September.

·
Registered
7,969 Posts
All Versys of all years do that, and it is normal... It's just the subthrottle servo cycling.

As silviefox mentioned, look at the right side of your throttle bodies when you turn ignition on.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you gents.

Honestly, it's hard to pin down the location of the noise. Appears to be coming from just behind radiator.

Not worried about it as the consensus is that's it's normal. I'm under warranty anyway.

Lovin' my new V.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All Versys of all years do that, and it is normal... It's just the subthrottle servo cycling.

As silviefox mentioned, look at the right side of your throttle bodies when you turn ignition on.
UPDATE: Definitely correct. Was coming from the throttle bodies. Normal.

Thanks much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts