Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Clean it? Umm...I never took it off road or anything--so it's not like there was alot of build-up.

What i DID do was ride it all-year round, therefore, I saw alot of water use. Regardless, I made sure to oil it. It's frustrating that these chains just don't last.

One thing I do want to note, is the manual calls for gear lube being adequate. All I ever used was teflon based "spray-lubes" that come in a can. Maybe gear oil has a better additive package to penetrate the o-rings and get into the roller better than spray lubes.

Anyway...
You oiled the chain... once?

If it was oiled regularly there would be zero rust.

R U S T can spell "the end"

Registered
Maybe not clear from my previous post...

I oiled the chain after every fuel-fill up--usually. Regardless that I did this so often, somewhere in the chain it ended up rusting. Whether that be because the lube washed out or whichever. One of the things I haven't tried yet was to use gear lube.
Mea culpa.:censored:
Your front sprocket wears faster than the rear sprocket so I have always changed my front sprocket on my bikes @ 10,000 miles.
I now am on my 3 front sprocket but the chain and rear sprocket are +25,000 miles.

This video explains why you should do this 馃憤馃憤

Love "Dellboys" ring spanner... if it was a bike it'd be Jonathan Reas ZX10R WSB

Registered
I buy the best chain I can. This led me and others here to the EK 520 X-ring chain. I don't know about the X-rings but it hardly seems to stretch which messes up everything.
Crikey, I would have thought a chain that "hardly seems to stretch" would not mess up everything...
Anyway, can we expect the Earths orbit to degrade and we become a fireball as we plunge into the Sun...
your non stretching chain messing up everything and all?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts