Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

For the past 2 weeks I've been feeling and hearing a pulsating or clicking while riding. I decided to do a chain cleaning today, and I believe I may have found the potential source of the problem. I don't know what it could be though. When spinning the wheel with my hand there seems to be resistance when approaching the "click". Please watch the video I've included. Could anyone help me with this issue? Thanks

·
Registered
499 Posts
Sounds like you chain is binding on one of the sprockets. Could be that your rear wheel is not straight. The hash marks on the swingarm aren't accurate on these bikes. Get a chain alignment gauge to see if your chainline is straight. I guess it could also be a stiff link. I'm just shooting in the dark here, but two things I'd look at.

Edit: Additionally, how much slack is in your chain. If it's worn too bad, it could have a tight spot in the chain. Check chain slack, turn the wheel a bit, check again. Repeat several times to see if you have a tight spot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you chain is binding on one of the sprockets. Could be that your rear wheel is not straight. The hash marks on the swingarm aren't accurate on these bikes. Get a chain alignment gauge to see if your chainline is straight. I guess it could also be a stiff link. I'm just shooting in the dark here, but two things I'd look at.

Edit: Additionally, how much slack is in your chain. If it's worn too bad, it could have a tight spot in the chain. Check chain slack, turn the wheel a bit, check again. Repeat several times to see if you have a tight spot.
Thank you for your response! I'll check that out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've had this exact issue happen on my bike. You have some rusty links and it's CLICKING because the roller is binding and immediately articulating once the chain binds and pulls the link.

I religiously oiled my OE chain after EVERY gas fill up...and it still only managed to last circa 20k miles. My sprockets were still in great condition...so I just said screw it..and only replaced the chain with an x-ring.

·
Registered
23 Posts
20k isn't that bad. Did you clean it first every time or just oil it?
I've had this exact issue happen on my bike. You have some rusty links and it's CLICKING because the roller is binding and immediately articulating once the chain binds and pulls the link.

I religiously oiled my OE chain after EVERY gas fill up...and it still only managed to last circa 20k miles. My sprockets were still in great condition...so I just said screw it..and only replaced the chain with an x-ring.

·
Registered
74 Posts
20k isn't that bad. Did you clean it first every time or just oil it?
Clean it? Umm...I never took it off road or anything--so it's not like there was alot of build-up.

What i DID do was ride it all-year round, therefore, I saw alot of water use. Regardless, I made sure to oil it. It's frustrating that these chains just don't last.

One thing I do want to note, is the manual calls for gear lube being adequate. All I ever used was teflon based "spray-lubes" that come in a can. Maybe gear oil has a better additive package to penetrate the o-rings and get into the roller better than spray lubes.

Anyway...

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have an automatic chain oiler installed, which lubes the chain while I ride. I’ve tried all kinds of lubes. From WD-40, ATF, to synthetic gear oil. Currently using chainsaw bar oil.

Chain life has always been disappointingly short, ~20,000 km or less, despite buying good chains and JT sprockets. But the smiles from twisting the throttle are large, so…

·
Registered
345 Posts
Your front sprocket wears faster than the rear sprocket so I have always changed my front sprocket on my bikes @ 10,000 miles.
I now am on my 3 front sprocket but the chain and rear sprocket are +25,000 miles.

This video explains why you should do this 👍👍

·
Registered
435 Posts
Clean it? Umm...I never took it off road or anything--so it's not like there was alot of build-up.

What i DID do was ride it all-year round, therefore, I saw alot of water use. Regardless, I made sure to oil it. It's frustrating that these chains just don't last.

One thing I do want to note, is the manual calls for gear lube being adequate. All I ever used was teflon based "spray-lubes" that come in a can. Maybe gear oil has a better additive package to penetrate the o-rings and get into the roller better than spray lubes.

Anyway...
You oiled the chain... once?

If it was oiled regularly there would be zero rust.

R U S T can spell "the end"

·
Registered
74 Posts
You oiled the chain... once?

If it was oiled regularly there would be zero rust.

R U S T can spell "the end"
Maybe not clear from my previous post...

I oiled the chain after every fuel-fill up--usually. Regardless that I did this so often, somewhere in the chain it ended up rusting. Whether that be because the lube washed out or whichever. One of the things I haven't tried yet was to use gear lube.

·
Registered
435 Posts

I oiled the chain after every fuel-fill up--usually. Regardless that I did this so often, somewhere in the chain it ended up rusting. Whether that be because the lube washed out or whichever. One of the things I haven't tried yet was to use gear lube.
Mea culpa.:censored:
Your front sprocket wears faster than the rear sprocket so I have always changed my front sprocket on my bikes @ 10,000 miles.
I now am on my 3 front sprocket but the chain and rear sprocket are +25,000 miles.

This video explains why you should do this 👍👍

Love "Dellboys" ring spanner... if it was a bike it'd be Jonathan Reas ZX10R WSB

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
teflon based "spray-lubes" that come in a can
Thats what I use only and its great. If you ride alot of wet in the winter heres what happens Ive noticed. The bike goes into the garage wet and the chain will rust. They are not stainless steel, not strong enough I guess. Really you should wipe the water off quickly with a paper towel while spinning the wheel. Since its up and spinning I then spray it. I dont commute so I can see this would be a pain for folks. Like Neil Young says, "Rust never sleeps" and its bad news on a chain.

·
Super Moderator
21,669 Posts

There are members who always cringe when I say the following:

I ONLY use WD40 on my chains ('08, '09 and '15 V650s - 101,550 MILES on the '08 in AZ; 63K kms on the '09 when it was 'written-off'; and currently 88K kms on the '15). I have ridden in full days of rain, and NEVER had rust on any chain, plus the OEM chain on the '08 lasted 56,xxx MILES! When checked by an engineer it was STILL w/in service-limits!

I PROBABLY lube my chains more often then the average rider does, but as they say ...the proof is in the pudding...! I also buy the WD40 in a gallon can, so it has MORE WD and LESS of the carrier.

DSC01371 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thats what I use only and its great. If you ride alot of wet in the winter heres what happens Ive noticed. The bike goes into the garage wet and the chain will rust. They are not stainless steel, not strong enough I guess. Really you should wipe the water off quickly with a paper towel while spinning the wheel. Since its up and spinning I then spray it. I dont commute so I can see this would be a pain for folks. Like Neil Young says, "Rust never sleeps" and its bad news on a chain.
Yup I use to daily mine before pre-plandemic and my bike saw 70mph highway through biblical rainstorms. It was a pain always lubing it after each torrential down-pour ride. But I agree that it should be wiped off.

And just as you say....rust never sleeps! Took about 3 or 4 links that I couldn't fully articulate with a pair of needle nose. Downshifting from about 30ish mph to a stop I could hear the clicking change drastically as I engine brake to coast alot.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The replacement chain I bought was the EK 520SRX2. So far it's been good.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I buy the best chain I can. This led me and others here to the EK 520 X-ring chain. I don't know about the X-rings but it hardly seems to stretch which messes up everything.
Crikey, I would have thought a chain that "hardly seems to stretch" would not mess up everything...
Anyway, can we expect the Earths orbit to degrade and we become a fireball as we plunge into the Sun...
your non stretching chain messing up everything and all?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts