Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know, probably not the best idea but.....the bike might just fit a lot better in the space in the garage WITHOUT the front / rear stands, am I risking flat spots in the tires etc by doing this? I store my car ( with it's summer z-rated tires ) that way with no ill effects, are the properties of motorcycle tires that much different that it would hurt them ? Thanks for any suggestions / slaps back to reality.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I had to dig my first motorcycle purchase out of a snow bank when I picked it up(200.00). Jumped on the kicker 50 times or so and away I went.

Each to his own. Personally I feel I wasted the 80 bucks spent on my rear stand. Storing it for the winter will likely be the only time I use the thing.

I might consider wood or cardboard under the wheels and lower the air pressure some, but I'm new! All the oil sitting on one side only may be an issue.:blah::blah:Likely no help at all![URL="
[/URL]

·
Registered
68 Posts
My 2 cents

I've never had this flat spot problem. My bike sits for about 12 weeks or so, maybe 16 if the winter hangs on.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Thanks for any suggestions / slaps back to reality.
I am 39 years old and have owned street bikes since I was 16. I have never witnessed ill effects from winter parking on an unheated garage floor. I do however ride at least once a month even in the coldest months. I try to ride 30 minutes minimum (usually more than an hour) to charge up the battery and get the engine good and warm as well as make some room for some fresh high octane gas (I run regular during the riding season). I keep the tank topped off to not leave much room for moisture to condense on the inside of the tank. I do not lower air pressure in the tire, I actually keep them topped off. I have never used a battery tender either and have never had a battery last less than 4 years. At ~4 years, I change my battery no matter what and I have never had battery issues. Cheap insurance for great starts.

:goodluck:

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I've parked a motorcycle (or two) in my garage for about 3 months every winter for 25+ years. No flat spots yet.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Top off the tank, put it on a battery tender, maybe throw a cover over it. No harm sitting on it's tires at all.

V-Zee

·
Registered
929 Posts
I have the same issue, as I don't trust having the bike balanced on the stands without having it strapped down. I really need an adapter for my lift...

Here's what I did:
- wask and dry the bike, and oil the chain
- change the oil
- fill the tank and put in an appropriate amount of gas stabilizer. Run the bike for a bit to get the stabilizer all through the lines.
- put wood under the tires and lower the pressure
- cover the muffler hole to keep critters out (plastic bag + elastic)
- remove the battery (I store it in the house).

So far, so good...

Dave C

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I seriously doubt that you would have any issues with flat spot that wouldn't clear up after the first ride. It just won't be sitting long enough.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Flat spots won't happen. I park the bike on a small cheap plastic tarp. I feel it keeps moisture from rising out of the concrete floor and fuzzing things up on the bike.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
+++:thumb:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Painted garage floor, Stabil in the tank, Battery Tender on the battery...guess I'm ok if it just sits on the side stand all winter. Thanks for the sanity validation :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts