Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience using this kit, did you use it for to get you home or did you run the tire with it in until no tread was left. I used this on a car tire so I would have a spare, then had the tire patched from the inside. Curious to know when it comes to motorcycle tires, what others have experienced.

I have a reason asking this question and will comment later.

·
Registered
943 Posts
No, not that one.

I've used rope plugs and then just long enough to get the bike home or repaired.

·
Premium Member
16,150 Posts
I have the Stop & Go Plugger Kit...http://www.stopngo.com/pocket-tire-plugger-for-all-tubeless-tires/ .I've plugged other folks tire and i had to plug a new Michelin PR3 with less than 80 miles on it. The plugged tire had about 8000 miles on it when i sold the bike. Let the new owner know about the plug and he's still riding on it.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I have used a Stop and Go several times, mostly on other rider's tires. They work great for punctures, like a nail or screw. Only time I couldn't make it work was when the hole was on the shoulder at the edge of the tread. A gummy worm wouldn't work either. I also carry gummy worms which I find work better for less uniform holes. For some flat tires, however, what you need is a flatbed.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have used it on the V. It saved me a tow. I caught a 3" screw mid turn which went in at an angle and left a nasty hole. I was able to plug it and use 3 CO2 cartridges to get enough air in it to get home. I then filled it again with air to get to a dealer and have the tires replaced. Had it gone in straight the plug would have saved the tire. Unfortunately not only did it go in at an angle it also went in more toward the sidewall as I was navigating a turn. I recently ordered the slime air compressor to carry with me to use instead of the CO2 cans. Be prepared to use at least 3 of the cans for a flat.

Oh, and the kit with the CO2 cans fits right under the seat.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Other than a tube type tire I plug to get home. I'll have the tire patched from the inside if I think it'll be safe, and my tireman agrees I trust him. On the tube tire I replace the tube, or patch it, and install a patch inside the tire to keep water and junk out and prevent a tube blow out.

I have done about 600 miles on a plugged tire to get home.

·
Super Moderator
19,145 Posts
I know this is different from what a lot of guys do, but I put (if I remember correctly...) about 1,700 miles over four days on a 'plugged' (rope-type) hole on a rear 150/70 Tourance on BIG RED last winter, then changed it when I got home.

I DID monitor tire pressures VERY often, but it did NOT lose any.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Have used string plugs on two tires this year so far. I have only used it as a means to get to a shop. In talking with friends, mechanics, and extreme gearheads- the general consensus, and what I'm following, is that it's a highly effective repair kit not meant for extended use.

Being tired of all the flats I've gotten this year though, the last tire I put 100 or so miles on with a string plug and couldn't shake the feeling of "this tire is compromised" and have since taken it back into the shop.

·
Banned
13 Posts
I plugged a 1/8" hole on rear with the rope style in a frog stranglin' downpour.After 800 miles it never lost a pound of air, but I couldn't stop thinking about it. Replaced and stopped thinking about it!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I consider the Stop N Go plug a permanent repair as it cannot come out, however...

They can be pretty difficult to install. You have to ream out the hole to a larger diameter, then insert the plug. Cut off the end.

If the puncture is in the right place, its a great repair!

·
Premium Member
16,150 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I consider the Stop N Go plug a permanent repair as it cannot come out, however...

They can be pretty difficult to install. You have to ream out the hole to a larger diameter, then insert the plug. Cut off the end.

If the puncture is in the right place, its a great repair!
Yes, the reason I asked is I got what looks like a nail used for shoeing horses, just off of center on my rear pilot rd 2. One thing I found helpful was to keep air in the tire while reaming and also while inserting the tool.

I put 350 KM on it today, tire pressure is rock solid, my plan it to replace the tire, chain and do a valve clearance / alternator stator check this fall. It would be nice if I could get the bike tire patched like the car tire, took the car tire in with the plug in place, they patched from the inside and rebalanced the tire all for $22.The local bike shops won't patch due to liability, also they usually want $50 to $75 to mount and balance, unless you buy the tire from them.

·
Premium Member
9,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have the Stop & Go Plugger Kit...http://www.stopngo.com/pocket-tire-plugger-for-all-tubeless-tires/ .I've plugged other folks tire and i had to plug a new Michelin PR3 with less than 80 miles on it. The plugged tire had about 8000 miles on it when i sold the bike. Let the new owner know about the plug and he's still riding on it.

Thanks :thanx: your reply along with others helped me decide to continue with the pluged tire, probably 7000 KM left on the tire.

·
Premium Member
16,150 Posts
Thanks :thanx: your reply along with others helped me decide to continue with the pluged tire, probably 7000 KM left on the tire.
:thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
ive used stab plugs 100's of times on every thing from cars-trucks to bikes , atvs and trailers. there the perfect get you home fix, you really should have an inside patch put on asap but ive put countless miles on tires with 5+ plugs in it with out even thinking about it

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Well, I'm going to be pissing on your parade guys

I had a brad nail in my less then 300 mile PR3 and tried to fix it with stop and go kit

Next day, it had lost all it's air

This being said, I'm not saying that I did everything right when using that system, and it might very well be me that's the problem in that case

Will have to give it another try, but that's for next year ...

LOP

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
My mostake the first time around was being too gentle with the rasp. On my successful plugging I went at it a bit more. I presume the more even edge created makes for a better fit on the plug.
stab that bitch like it owes you money xD and having some rubber cement on hand is a good idea as well . the more you ruff up the hole the more ceface area the glue has to bite into and hold

1 - 20 of 20 Posts