Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just returned home from work, parked Lucy in the garage and while I was removing my stuff from the rear bags I noticed my license was stolen.
I used loctite with SS nuts and bolts to secure the plate, both could not have loosened at the same time!
:censored::censored::censored::censored:

What a waste of time and money to get a replacement plate and tag.

Is this a common occurrence?
What can I buy to prevent this from happening again? I do not have a firearms permit before anyone suggests that route.

At least they left me Lucy:D

·
Premium Member
16,106 Posts
Happened to the GF's son.Took his GSXR 750 to the beach house about 6 weeks ago to do some yard work. Noticed when he got home the plates were missing. It happend to someone on the forum here in the last couple of months. Someone here drilled holes in the license plate bolts and put small locks on them.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Same happened to a friend of mine in Brooklyn. I wound up buying the size up from license plate bolts, drilling holes through them started with a centerpunch, and putting luggage locks behind the nuts. Sure it won't stop someone determined to get the plate, but it'll make the next bike on the street a far better target than mine...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Limey bastards! There's nothing lower than a bottom feeding yellow bellied thief. Sorry for your loss.
Whoa, whoa! Where do us Limey's come into this? Unless you know it was nicked by a Scouser (A resident of Liverpool) because they are all thieving scum-bags.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Warning! This is not advisable! :eek:

Anyway with todays hi tech copiers just make a color copy of it and lam it to hard carboard. It looks like the real deal. If it gets old looking do it again. If someone tries and rip it off it distroys it. Then just color copy a new from the real plate. I have done this with many ID's also! Its awesome! :thumb:

Please don't try this at home! :eek:

It is not leagal you must have the actual plate? Whatever! :thumb: :cheers:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Day later

Thanks folks for all your great suggestions.:thanx:

I will pick up my replacement plate on Thursday:clap:, already filled out the Police paperwork today:eek:.

I am leaning at a combination strategy,,,,,something more then what I had before for sure.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was just pricing the units out at Princess auto and Canadian tire.
Thx Invader and ttpete.:thumb:

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Yeah, 3/16" rivet with aluminum washer on top of plate, and backing washer behind the mount.

Canadian Tire hand riveter tools are very weak and crappy Chinese junk... This one at Princess Auto would do the trick:

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/8285595/Riveters/Hand-Riveting-Tool

You don't have to pay for the registration again. You only pay a few bucks for a new plate and replacement sticker.

·
Super Moderator
18,983 Posts
Whoa, whoa! Where do us Limey's come into this? Unless you know it was nicked by a Scouser (A resident of Liverpool) because they are all thieving scum-bags.
Betcha there's an "S" missing from the start of "Limey"....

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Same happened to a friend of mine in Brooklyn. I wound up buying the size up from license plate bolts, drilling holes through them started with a centerpunch, and putting luggage locks behind the nuts. Sure it won't stop someone determined to get the plate, but it'll make the next bike on the street a far better target than mine...

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Might slow em' down but if this pisses em' off they could just slash your seat and knock you bike over. I'd rather hope they would just take the plate.
Good Lord!! :eek:

Come on Capn Kirk! That sounds a little extreme! Holy balls! :eek:

Lets make the color copies and let them steel them. Then just make more copies! Why should I be the one to have to do all the work because some JACK ASS stole my plate! :thumb:

Let them steel away! I got a spare under my seat all ready to go! :thumb::thumb::thumb: Fake is the way to go! :thumb::goodluck:

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Good Lord!! :eek:

Come on Capn Kirk! That sounds a little extreme! Holy balls! :eek:
There was another thread a while back where someone wanted to lock up the oil filler cap so somebody would not fill the oil pan with sand or something. The fact is the bike is very exposed to vandalism. It is not hard to really mess up a bike with a simple shove, kick, or slash. Done in 3 seconds. If you lock your car doors and someone wants in, they break a window. If you had left it unlocked, its possible they would try the door and look around and take what they would have anyway.

Just sayin' you can work hard to protect something only to have something right beside it get screwed up!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts