Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I bought it new, I've been riding my '08 Versys with the stock rear shock. Lately, I've been thinking about upgrading (at least wishful looking...).

Does anyone know what the length (eye-to-eye) and stroke of the stock shock is? I can't seem to find the numbers anywhere...

Thanks! :thanx:

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I don't know the numbers, but I do know that the stock shock has a "bumper" on its shaft that is HUGE compared to the total shock stroke dimension.

One thought was that this was done to limit rear wheel travel, and thus maintain a correct attitude of the chassis during braking and cornering.

·
Super Moderator
19,606 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I know about people using the R1 shock and I think it's a good idea and looks pretty cool, but I was looking around a bit at other ones too :thumb:

·
Registered
239 Posts
I got a Progressive 465 designed for the V. Under $500.00. Swaps out in minutes. But don't rush out and buy one. Wait five years like I did and you'll feel like you got a new bike at a fraction of the cost.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! Do you have a link to where you got it?

·
Registered
239 Posts

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
The most important is getting a spring of the proper rate. Stock 940 lbs/in (16.79 kg/mm) spring is too stiff. My 800 lbs/in (14.29 kg/mm) spring is perfect for me (210 lbs) in heavy duty riding conditions. I can set proper sag, and benefit from a compliant rear suspension while using all of its functional travel.

·
Super Moderator
19,606 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts