Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Stock pipes based, totally changed exhaust line.

Hello, friends.
First of all let me say - I'm real beginner in every possible meaning - bike driving, bike improving, even English, means I do mistakes, forgive me guys.
I want to share with you quite different approach of Versys's exhaust system. No, it's the same in terms of pipes length, pipes junction (standard Y-pipe), it contains usual Yoshimura aftermarket muffler. I made it using standart pipes.
But take a look - have you ever seen something like this?
And now - it's compact, factory made looking, and major benefit is - it eliminates huge and heavy stomach under bike's engine (and about 7 kilos of weight).
I bought my Varya (name I call my Versys) one months ago and was surprised to find usual silencer, like the one you can find in every car or track. I begun to hate it, especially considering the place they had put it, with all this chain dirt and drain lines.. This thought became sort of mania and I started to act.
Found exhaust pipes (used from ER-6n), bought short Yoshimura muffler, and after two days of work in my garage I was ready to try it on the road. Mileage for now is about 600 km.
Looks like it's just too close to forward wheel, but believe me, there still is some distance in between.
It sounds fine - like FMF, Leo, DrD and every other exhaust I've heard, and I got space enough to place real flat guard (my next step), for I could use it with central jack. This is what I love in my WR250R enduro..
I got some extra effects, which are very positive:
- back pressure much lower now, bike became not so nervous on throttle moving down;
- gear shifting down is like AK-47 now, I had real problems before this rebild;
- everyone can hear me now - cars I'm passing and cars I'm approaching, cause exhaust sound reflects from car moving on my right and going everywhere, not backwards only.
And some pictures, from the very idea:

And video (sorry not too good):
P.S. I still have all stock features, but honestly I'm not going to mount them back.
About oil pan.. I was forced to get on ebay extra oil pan - I'm planning to modify its drain bolt, think I'll make it flat with some new collar. For it looks strange now and steals about 2 cm of high.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
That is very, very interesting and creative. Looks like very good work too. The front wheel does seem very close however.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
nice job :) next for laughs you could make a side stack to attach to it like a semi, or zoomies like a 80's dragster :)

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
not sure what to say...nice work physically...:clap:
I'm not sure I'm hip to the exhaust and it's heat being right below the radiator..or of having the exhaust gases exiting in front of me...:cheers:

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
not sure what to say...nice work physically...:clap:
I'm not sure I'm hip to the exhaust and it's heat being right below the radiator..or of having the exhaust gases exiting in front of me...:cheers:
its cold in russia thats just a leg warmer :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
... not sure I'm hip to the exhaust and it's heat being right below the radiator..or of having the exhaust gases exiting in front of me...:cheers:
You probably imagine how Yoshi muffler works, don't you? It shoots like a gun, no way outgoing gases are able to reach my boots. Plus I can any time I want modify Db-Killer, adding some tip to its end.
And - it could be really hot in operation, yes. Thing is I just tried it, having some guard installed I will cover pipes with thermal protective ribbon.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sure it is)) - and this is exactly what I'd told myself this morning driving in +3 Celsius.. Think time to close city season and try my WR250R instead))

·
Super Moderator
19,023 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nope, but "kudos" to you for doing it.
Not for me, tho'.
Think it's sort of honer I cant't get the value..
Thing is I did it because it seemed obvious and doable.
I'm expirienced engineer, for God sake..
Plus it's quite cheap, spent about 150$ and couple of days, that's all.
Now waiting for oil pan (and inspiration) to finish all I've planned.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I like the concept. gain some ground clearance. would gain more ground clearance without the drain hanging down so far and with a remote oil filter relocation.

I'm really not a fan of the oil filter hanging down so low without protection.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I'm curious how the powerband is affected by the pipes being shorter before joining together.

If I remember correctly from engine tuning, shorter headers push the peak into higher rpm and long tube headers pull the peak down into the lower range.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts