Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recall reading a post a couple of months ago, where someone removed (drilled out) the catalytic converter from the inside of the stock muffler, but hadn't tested it yet due to winter weather.

How did it sound? Was it a little or a lot louder?

From what you could tell, did the performance suffer at all? Any backfiring?

Was there any decrease in fuel mpg?

I am looking for a little more "motorcycle sound" out of my V, and I like the looks of the stock muffler. I might do this if makes my V sound more like a motorcycle, and it doesn't hurt performance.

[And yes, I would feel sufficiently guilty for increasing my air emissions :eek:]

·
Registered
287 Posts
I recall reading a post a couple of months ago, where someone removed (drilled out) the catalytic converter from the inside of the stock muffler, but hadn't tested it yet due to winter weather.

How did it sound? Was it a little or a lot louder?

From what you could tell, did the performance suffer at all? Any backfiring?

Was there any decrease in fuel mpg?

I am looking for a little more "motorcycle sound" out of my V, and I like the looks of the stock muffler. I might do this if makes my V sound more like a motorcycle, and it doesn't hurt performance.

[And yes, I would feel sufficiently guilty for increasing my air emissions :eek:]
Yes I did that, along with CliveCoo

See this thread - Gutted the Cat

Done about 1500 miles on it now.

Sounds a bit louder, performance in mid range has increased, still getting 250 miles out of a tank and it still has best low down torque and top-end performance because of the long effective design length of the standard exhaust - I'm happy with it. :clap:

Have not got round to a sound clip yet, as I want to directly compare it along side an intact OEM exhaust on the same track. ;) Will try and do it sometime soon now the riding season is back in full swing :thumb:

Richard

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Richard.

That is quite a clever muffler design, with all that effective length tucked out of the way under the motor.

This is on my list to do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts