Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering the Versys,(current bike is an '07 BMW F800 ST) and the lack of any center stand option for this bike is a deal breaker for me. Has there been any development on this front?
Thanks.
Jack.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought I saw on here somewhere, he was no longer offering these?
Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Ultimately, the Versys just doesn't suit a centrestand. I know the guy who developed his take on a solution spent a considerable amount of time and effort, but if it looks like it's made from scaffolding and isn't aesthetically pleasing to the eye, it just isn't going to be successful enough to warrant any form of large scale production. Plus, if Kawasaki don't offer one as an option, or any of the other aftermarket suppliers, deep down you know that they didn't consider it to be viable.

Enjoy your next bike (which isn't going to be a Versys). :thumb:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Why do you feel that you really need a center stand?
You can use paddock stands in your garage.
On the road, you can use something like a trail stand:
http://www.endurostar.com/
You can get one wheel in the air, one at a time. I use it on my dirtbike.

My last 2 bikes had a center stand, I thought I'd miss not having one, but I'm ok with it now.

·
Premium Member
9,114 Posts
At the time when the center stand was being produced, I thought it something I would need. As it turns out, I can raise the rear wheel or the front wheel, in seconds, with the same prop stand. Front wheel uses the throttle side, axle hole with a 1/2 inch bolt and washer and prop stand, allows me to check tire for any damage.
For lubing the chain, I have a pit stand available but never use it, as the prop stand is faster and more secure, I know some are going to question this. The prop stand raises the right side of the bike at the rear, the side stand and front wheel are in contact with the ground. The pit stand is a non bobbin style that goes under the swing arm, I have had it slip, also you need to be at the rear of the bike to raise or lower. I have had some close calls were the bike started to go over, opposite of the side stand, hard to stop when you are at the rear.
With the prop stand, the worst that can happen is the rear tire contacts the ground, if it comes out.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I too wonder what are the key advantage of having a center stand, after all it adds on weight. For chain maintenance, I can use a car jack to raise the rear wheel or prop it under the exhaust to lift the front.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Once you discover a rear pit spool stand you will never miss a kick stand. IMO it actually works better. The swing arm is threaded for spools for the rear pit stand.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Can a rear stand be used by itself safely?
No problem. My bike's on one right now with the front one as well. Both ends up in the air. Very stable and safe to leave like this for months...I do all winter long.

I use a set of T-Rex stand but the Pit-Bull brand is highly thought of as well. The front stand I have can lift from the lower fork legs OR the lower triple tree clamp. It's how I change tires. I've used them on my Buell, KLR and now the Versys. Once you use a set you wonder WHY you waited.

However NEVER use the front by itself as the bike could very well be
unstable and topple over on you. Always lift the rear first then front end and lower the front first and the rear end last.

BTW my sure the kickstand's down when you lower the bike OR you could have a bad day! It's real tricky trying to push the side stand down from the rear of the bike, just don't ask how I know OK? :badidea:

·
Registered
32 Posts
No problem. My bike's on one right now with the front one as well. Both ends up in the air. Very stable and safe to leave like this for months...I do all winter long.

I use a set of T-Rex stand but the Pit-Bull brand is highly thought of as well. The front stand I have can lift from the lower fork legs OR the lower triple tree clamp. It's how I change tires. I've used them on my Buell, KLR and now the Versys. Once you use a set you wonder WHY you waited.

unstable and topple over on you. Always lift the rear first then front end and lower the front first and the rear end last.

BTW my sure the kickstand's down when you lower the bike OR you could have a bad day! It's real tricky trying to push the side stand down from the rear of the bike, just don't ask how I know OK? :badidea:
:thanx: Time! You are the man!

My bike came with spools and I think I am going to have to invest in a rear stand.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I just took a photo BUT Photobucket's down. When it comes back up I'll post the shot, shows the bike on both and front and rear stands. What it DOESN'T show is me shaking the heck out of the bike BUT trust me it as stable as a rock.

You'll hate working on a bike without stands after you get a set.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I have no idea what's up with Photobucket BUT I open a new account to upload the photo Not the best shot uwing my Droid.

I have to order the right "Spud" to fit the Versys as the one of the Buell is to small. With that I can lift the bike under the triple trees at the stearing tube.

·
Registered
378 Posts
SW-Motech makes a centerstand for the Versys 1000 now. It attaches between rider footpegs and frame. Maybe that idea can be used on the V650 as well?

·
Registered
531 Posts
SW-Motech makes a centerstand for the Versys 1000 now. It attaches between rider footpegs and frame. Maybe that idea can be used on the V650 as well?
I think you'll find the exhaust just might be in the way. :forgetit:

·
Registered
66 Posts
My last bike a a KLR and I used the trail stand to prop it up under the foot peg for chain lubes. Will that work on the versys? The kick stand on the 2009 versys looks so tiny compared to the KLR and I am worried it might not be up for the task.

Crash

·
Registered
445 Posts
+1 to what TIME said:

BTW my sure the kickstand's down when you lower the bike OR you could have a bad day! It's real tricky trying to push the side stand down from the rear of the bike, just

·
Super Moderator
19,152 Posts
My last bike a a KLR and I used the trail stand to prop it up under the foot peg for chain lubes. Will that work on the versys? The kick stand on the 2009 versys looks so tiny compared to the KLR and I am worried it might not be up for the task.
Crash
This is what I do, w/ a converted crutch for a stand, and 'hooked' under the spool.

The velcro is to hold the front brakes so it doesn't roll....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts