Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

Okay, this might be a stupid question. I'm still a total Moto Noob. I passed my safety course (Canadian version of the MSF), and am now just practicing before I do my road test in a week.

I bought a 2018 Versys-X new. I've only got 150 km on the odo thus far.

One problem with the bike that my friend noticed the other day is that I cannot use the steering lock. I can turn the bike On and Off okay. But when I push the key in and try to move it to the leftmost position to lock the steering, it doesn't work. I tried both keys. The cylinder rotates about 2/3 of the way between off and lock. The key is not removable in that position, and the steering is not locked in that position. So I have to turn the key back to off to remove it and the steering isn't locked.

I ensured that the handlebars were maximally rotated to the left before attempting the above procedure.

Am I missing something or is there a problem with the bike?

Thanks for any tips / advice. Again, sorry if this is a dumb question.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2W4F,

That took me literally two seconds to do, and it totally worked. I just backed off the L rotation of the bars by about 5 degrees and the cylinder rotated perfectly.

Thanks so much! That made my day.

:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Shortly after getting my x300, I had the opposite problem. I parked my bike and with the steering locked. However, when I tried to unlock, I couldn't get the key to turn clockwise to unlock. It took about half an hour of rocking the handlebar (whisk included slight adjustments of the handlebar from the full turn), moving the bike backwards and forwards. Then miraculously it unlocked. I still don't understand what happened and I am nervous about using the steering lock.

·
Premium Member
7,808 Posts
Shortly after getting my x300, I had the opposite problem. I parked my bike and with the steering locked. However, when I tried to unlock, I couldn't get the key to turn clockwise to unlock. It took about half an hour of rocking the handlebar (whisk included slight adjustments of the handlebar from the full turn), moving the bike backwards and forwards. Then miraculously it unlocked. I still don't understand what happened and I am nervous about using the steering lock.
Put some Oil/WD40 - the magic spray- and try it at home. and how often do you use your handle bar lock?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I should have mentioned that the bike was essentially brand new (less than 40 km on it when it happened). I did put some WD40 into it. I've used it maybe twice since then (3 month period).

·
Registered
2013 v650
223 Posts
Also look under the ignition switch. You will be able to see the lock pin that extends out of the switch. Put a little bit of grease on the pin and the lug on the bike frame at that location.

I very rarely use the lock. If someone wants your bike they are going to take it anyways. 2 people and a bar under the triple tree can move a bike any where they want.

·
Super Moderator
19,145 Posts
...I very rarely use the lock. If someone wants your bike they are going to take it anyways. 2 people and a bar under the triple tree can move a bike any where they want....
I always park my Vs w/ the steering locked as it gives some protection in the event it falls (or gets knocked-over), except at home where it's in my garage on a rear pit-stand.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the same problem locking my bike, just takes a little getting used to. I always use the steering lock, even though its not much of a deterent, the problem being in the UK, the insurers will reject a theft claim if they find out that the steering wasnt locked when or if the bike gets recovered

1 - 9 of 9 Posts