Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Google up hyperpro sterring dampers. they are mounted using DMV kits specific for 2010-up versys.

·
Registered
291 Posts
A question...why do you need a damper on your V?
I have only needed one once, on my 1970 Norton Commando, when the bar started wobbling at one occasion on a bumpy paved road when I was riding way too fast. Bike had stock ribbed tire in front which I think was the cause. I bought a damper and put it on, but after replacing that tire to a Dunlop K81 (like the rear) the need was not there any longer.

·
Registered
720 Posts
The high and wide stock handlebars on the V actually negates the need for a steering damper. just hold on tight and pray that the bike straightens itself out!

but anyway, there may be occasion where the front end were lowered down too much (either by raising the forks or swapping in a shorter fork like the zx636 fork mod done by Hoghead BUT without lowering the rear) will result in a twitchy front end especially at high speed, hence a steering damper *could possibly* be of help.

anyway it's your bike, do whatever you want on your bike.

·
Super Moderator
19,023 Posts
None. Unless you are doing a lot of hairy off roading.
After having done some "hairy off roading" when I was younger - I'm NOT sure you'd want a steering damper which 'dampens' steering inputs when you are making LOTS of small (and large INPUTS) riding dirt....

·
Registered
237 Posts
Nota bene! Do NOT misunderstand me here, please. I am NOT disputing the TS.
I am seriously interersted what benefit it will bring to me/my bike if I get a steering damper.
I don't think there is any benefit. No matter how hard I push the bike through the twisties, there is zero head shake. However, I've owned a sportster that would shake violently while accelerating hard out of a sweeper. So I was looking at fork braces as well as a steering dampener. Ended up on a ZX6R which came with a steering dampener stock.

In a nut shell, if your not getting a head shake while really pushing the bike, then it's useless. But it does look cool!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Nota bene! Do NOT misunderstand me here, please. I am NOT disputing the TS.
I am seriously interersted what benefit it will bring to me/my bike if I get a steering damper.
as what i have mentioned earlier. if your bike is stock, you would hardly (actually you dont) need a steering damper on the versys. really.

once i ran a 47T rear sprox. occasionally i accidentally gave a tad too much twist to the throttle and my front lift up with me least expecting it to. that sudden scary moment when i felt nothing on the handlebar and the subsequent landing made me thinking to put a steering damper to keep the head tight and straight whenever such incident occur, so i thought. turns out going back to 46T is cheaper and hey, i dont need a steering damper after all.:D

but i know of a few guys who would put all those unnecessary bells and whistles on their bikes but i wont ask why. :dontcare:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts