Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a steering damper for 2015 KLE 650 anyone ever put one on or know a good buy.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have a kit from Dimotiv with a Hyperpro damper, I like it a lot, does everything it is suppose to.

I got it off Amazon 2 years ago, and when I just looked it wasn't available anymore. So not much help but there has to be some kits out there somewhere

·
Registered
196 Posts
The linear Hyperpro dampers are cheap compared to a Scotts rotary style, which start at $500. Their mounting kit is quite pricey

For me its worth it while touring, especially on a windy day, takes twitchyness out of the steering and reduces end of the day fatigue. I prefer the slower steering in parking lots also. The traditional need for one, headshake while accelerating hard on a high HP bike, does not exist on the Versys but it is still very nice to have for me.

FWIW I paid $300 total for the mounting kit and damper a few years ago. That Hyperpro mounting kit looks different than mine also

*edit: zoomed in on the photo of the mounting kit, and the one pictured on the listing for the Versys 650 is in fact for a CBR 1000

·
Registered
724 Posts
I was curious but now I sure won't spend so much for that.

The only use I see if for offroad, where you want resistence going away from center but not to center, while riding over rocky ground.
At that price, I sure would get a rock guard first.

·
Super Moderator
19,412 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Now you did it!

I'm looking for a steering damper for 2015 KLE 650 anyone ever put one on or know a good buy.
You've got me thinking ... and that sometimes can get me into trouble LOL!

For years I have had a Scotts Steering Damper set aside for one of my old school Suzuki projects. However I have lost interest in these projects and now have more time to think, tinker, etc.

My 2015 Versys 650 does not NEED a steering damper but then again ... why not ???

Winters can easily last for a long time up here. >:)

·
Registered
196 Posts
First, I am not proud of how dirty things are under the fairings on my bike, it'll get better soon with winter maintenance.

In reference to the mounting kit linked on Amazon. The right angle turn between the mount on the front of the headstock and clamp on the damper body is the issue I see with that kit IF the picture on that listing is what you would actually receive.

Also, the length of the support between the headstock and the damper clamp is very important. The Dimotiv kit on mine gets the length perfect so the ends of the damper just clear the front of the fairing on each side at full turning lock. It is exposed to oncoming air so accumulates some bugs, but it cleans off easy.

Hope that helped

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
The Dimotiv mounting kit is the exact one I have, so thats the way to go if you can get one.

Unsure of the exact fork exterior diameter, I have a 2016 650 so same as all the other Gen3 bikes

And if I remember correctly there was just some kind of wire routing clip in one of those holes you circled, easy to keep the wire in line with a zip tie or two after the install

·
Registered
196 Posts
No problems on either side at full lock

·
Registered
196 Posts
May I ask how long is your damper and the diameter of your damper where it mounts on. can't find the info on Hyperpro
I can measure it next time I visit the bike in winter storage in the next few days

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
It's like car trend with I-pad in middle of the dash or no old R34 in USA, this steering damper is like a rabbit hole. I wish I have my own CNC machine make My own. Dimotiv is a quiet business and Versys machine are super rare I guess. Just purchased the Hyperpro from there factory cost less than other blackmarket Ebay products. Will give an update on this product for people seeking the same.

Update 1/8/20 for whom may follow:
I got couple pictures from hyperpro this what should look like when installed, their kit seems more sturdy and practical. The whole kit is won't be visible or take away from the normal look. The mounting is also helpful for people that has lowered their versys allow to be installed on higher fork tube. Here is couple picture from them. Mine kit is going to be here later today will give a couple picture after installation. Also be on the lookout for my update on rides when this winter gets warmer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts