Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case anyone is curious about the difference between the Versys stock horn vs a Stebel Nautilus, I put together a quick video. Hope this helps anyone who is thinking of buying one. I'm glad I have one on my bike!

Cheers! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
You're right, a covered location is a good idea. Also, make sure the trumpet points down so water does not collect inside, which will ruin the reed.

You can split the compressor and the trumpet and mount them separately. Just use some plastic tubing to connect the output of the compressor to the input of the trumpet. I split mine and reconnected them in reverse order (a big zip tie did the trick) and used plastic tubing as described. This allowed me to attach the horn's bracket to a simple piece of aluminum stock that I bent to shape and attached under the left side side panel. That's on my '08, not sure how it would work on later years.

In any case, the horn is WAAAAY louder than stock, so however you end up mounting it, it's a good idea.

·
Premium Member
16,111 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Bones
@weljo2001
I actually went through this forum in detail looking for all sorts of tips. Unfortunately, the 2011 model has differences to the older models so that I couldn't find the same mounting locations. I did think of trying to mount it inside the left faring but I really didn't have any real way to fabricate decent DIY brackets. My way does look a bit odd IMO.

·
Premium Member
16,111 Posts
@Bones
@weljo2001
I actually went through this forum in detail looking for all sorts of tips. Unfortunately, the 2011 model has differences to the older models so that I couldn't find the same mounting locations. I did think of trying to mount it inside the left faring but I really didn't have any real way to fabricate decent DIY brackets. My way does look a bit odd IMO.

Who cares how it looks as long as it works and you like it. I put one on my FJR and didn't want to have to tear the bike apart to mount the horn. Lots of plastic on the FJR that would have to come off. So i had a buddy thats a machinist make me a bracket and heres what i did..Look just above the highway peg.

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
16,111 Posts
Great job on the comparison between the horns.:thumb::thumb: I won't have a bike without a loud horn. My Stebels have saved my butt many times

·
Super Moderator
19,006 Posts
Great job on the comparison between the horns.:thumb::thumb: I won't have a bike without a loud horn. My Stebels have saved my butt many times
X (at LEAST...) 2!

:thumb: - :thumb:

·
Registered
383 Posts
I mounted mine like Joe did. It saved me when a Semi started to come over. Hit the horn and he jumped back in his lane.

On the newer 10 - up is the tab on right side hidden under the plastic?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I mounted mine like Joe did. It saved me when a Semi started to come over. Hit the horn and he jumped back in his lane.

On the newer 10 - up is the tab on right side hidden under the plastic?
I seriously looked for that mounting point. Even took off the right side faring. Couldn't see it :-(

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Weljo,

Not to dog on you BUT you have the CLEANEST bikes I have ever seen. My Versys wasn't as clean as your's is when I bought it...new! I like a clean bike as I paid good money for it and I take care of what I have. BUT if you're ever around my neck of the woods stop by and show me how it's done because when I see one of your rides I think it needs one of these on it! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
16,111 Posts
Weljo,

Not to dog on you BUT you have the CLEANEST bikes I have ever seen. My Versys wasn't as clean as your's is when I bought it...new! I like a clean bike as I paid good money for it and I take care of what I have. BUT if you're ever around my neck of the woods stop by and show me how it's done because when I see one of your rides I think it needs one of these on it! :thumb:

Thats funny. When i first got the Versys i washed it every monday no matter if it needed it or not. After i got hit by the car i didn't wash it for a year and my harley buddies would always say your bike is so clean. I just laughed and told them how long its been since it had been washed. i would rub it down with a damp cloth everyone in awhile. The FJR i got in January took it to a car wash once then washed it by hand a couple of weeks ago. I hate washing bikes i would rather ride them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...I hate washing bikes i would rather ride them.
Hear! Hear!
I rarely wash my bike too. I keep everything well lubricated and maintain the engine. I have a brush that I use to sweep the caked on dirt off, and when it rains I take a little time to wipe it fairly dry. That usually keeps it looking clean, but has a "used everyday" look.

·
Premium Member
16,111 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,006 Posts
...I hate washing bikes i would rather ride them.
Most of the time I wash the bike after I've ridden enough dirt to get it "rather un-clean".... And I clean the WD40 chain-splatter off the rear wheel now-and-then.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts