Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Did you do anything to beef up the attachment point on the bike? I've seen a few people have that fail due to the added weight of the Stebel.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
:thumb: Thanks for sharing. make sure to service the horn on regular intervals as water will damage the horn.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
The lower bracket, which the OEM is on doesn't look like it would support much weight. That may be where failures have occurred.
I'm not sure about upper vs lower, however I am sure that my Stebel horn broke the mount where the OEM horn attached to the frame. I assume it was metal fatigue from vibration. Luckily I noticed it while there was still a bit of metal holding it in place. Wouldn't have been much longer before it broke off. From what you're saying you have a better solution...just inspect it every so often to be sure.

I remounted it in the space under the painted tupperware that mounts on the left side of the tank. Used a piece of aluminum stock which I bent in a vise. Had to separate the horns from the compressor, attach the compressor output to the horn input with clear plastic hose, reorient the horns so hey point down (if they point up they get moisture inside and ruin the compressor), and reconnect the horn assembly with a giant zip tie. All of that was easy, and now the horn is protected while still blasting ferociously.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
That is a nice install. It fits perfectly in that space, and matches surrounding panels well.

Wolo's Maxi-Sound pair of horns work very well on my car, and have been remarkably reliable and durable. You can get Wolo's Full Blast 116 db high and low horns seperately, or together for $10.95 each plus shipping from:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wolo-Full-Blast-Electric-Horn-380-2T-/390386795596?pt=Car_Audio_Video&vxp=mtr&hash=item5ae4ddc44c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wolo-Full-Blast-Electric-Horn-385-2T-/370579485357?pt=Car_Audio_Video&vxp=mtr&hash=item56484232ad

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
AzItLies, Have you ridden that bike yet? Looks like its still on the showroom floor or is there an OCD thing going on.:D

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
hahaha yeah, I know, it's sad...

I gots no seat is the issue Sir, sent it off to Spencer for some mods, it's a long way's between Tucson and Florida ;)

Getting it back tomorrow! wooohoooo :)

Made my own box to ship it. Amazing how just a little difference can add up money wise. It was only 21 bucks ea way. If the box was just slightly bigger it would have been more than twice that!

Ahhh i see. I've shipped about 6 or more seats last year and USPS is the way to go. From $16.00 to $23.00 on them all over the states.The higher prices had insurance. UPS & Fed-Ex wanted about double.:eek:

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
To the original poster. I hope only ride when the sun is shining. The instructions on my stebel horns say to not have water on the horns. They even supply a nice little picture. Water will lock up the compressor.

I find that I only use my horns to let someone know they did something I didn't like. If someone is coming into my lane I am usually avoiding first and then letting them know I didn't like what they did.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Please let us know how the PIAA installation goes. I spend a few hours trying to mount my Fiam Freeway Blasters (they look like PIAAs but... are maybe a bit larger?) in those same places a few months ago. I fabbed a special bracket to replace the stock mount, etc. I was not successful in making mine fit. So, i gave up, and bought a set of crash bars that I plan to mount my horns to. I will also add highway pegs and maybe lights to the crash bars too. My V is 4 years old now, so I moving toward practicallity for touring instead of looks.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
That is a nice job and I applaud your patience. Here is another alternative with a less expensive horn from Harbor Freight that I used. Also, I removed the stock horn and was able to use the existing wires to hook up the new horn so there was not a wiring issue. I did add and extension wire of about 12" to compensate for the extra distance of the mounting. It is very loud and will make you jump when you hit the button.

Here is the link to the horn: http://www.harborfreight.com/bad-boy-air-horn-94117.html

I was able to mount the horn up behind the left fairing so it is totally out of sight and has some protection from the weather. I attached it with black electrical ties and have had no problem with it coming loose in the last 2 years.

Just an alternative but I think you did an outstanding job.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts