Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys: I am sure there have been threads about this, but I'll ask again: how do you stay cool when riding in the summer months where it is hot AND relatively humid (Mid-west, East)?

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I haven't dropped the dime yet, but I have several friends who use evaporative vests during the Texas summer and like them. The idea is simple: soak it in water, wring it out, and put it on beneath your jacket. The material retains some of the water between the inner and outer layers and provides cooling as the wind evaporates the water held in the vest. Friends say it works - up to several hours.

Google evaporative vests or check the Motorcycle Superstore http://motorcycle.motorcycle-superstore.com/motorcycle/Evaporative Vest.

Other popular retailers sell them as well. They range between $40 and $60. That's better than becoming dehydrated and passing out. :D

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
-Open my vents
-On hot days I put a camelback bladder in my tank bag

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
-Open my vents
-On hot days I put a camelback bladder in my tank bag
You put a camel's bladder in your tank bag!?!?! God, it must stink to high heaven. LOL. :D:D:D

Sorry, I couldn't help myself - I misread it the first time through. :eek:

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
You put a camel's bladder in your tank bag!?!?! God, it must stink to high heaven. LOL. :D:D:D

Sorry, I couldn't help myself - I misread it the first time through. :eek:
You get over the smell quick. But you dont get over the thought of haveing to drink it out of the "hose" ever....:eek:

·
Registered
928 Posts
Olympia AirGlide jacket and pants. While I haven't crash-tested the gear (I hope I never have to), it is quite comfortable and I have to believe it offers better protection than a t-shirt and jeans.

The only thing I wish was that I had a 3/4 length jacket, as I find the Airglide is a bit short on the back. That will be my next purchase...

Dave C

·
Registered
257 Posts
vents

I have a Hein Gericke jacket that has scoop vent intakes at the wrists and vents on the body. It literally inflates at speed and is the best jacket I've ever owned....:goodidea:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I have 365 days of summer heat. My riding jacket is Mesh, lots of ventilation. For long rides, I'll wear a sports type t-shirt in the inside. This T-shirt is cool to wear and doesn't store up heat like cotton t-shirts do.....soccer jerseys is probably the best description I can give. On each fuel stop, i'll wet up the t-shirt so that it does the evaporative action.

I also have a mesh riding pants, and it makes the ride more comfortable. Drink plenty of fluid, and I'll take a can of energy drink to restore my lost energy.

·
Registered
259 Posts
+1 on the evaporative vest. The thing just works! Sometimes too well, can get a little chilly in the late evening. AND...it's great to use in the winter when used dry.

The key thing with the vest is to use a mesh jacket or a jacket with very good vents. I have an Olympia Bushwacker (no longer made) and a Scorpion Cool Rod. I also have mesh pants and vented boots.

~ Wes

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Been raised in the tropics I can tell that evaporative vests or wearing a wet tshirt under a mesh jacket (the cheap alternative to evaporativ vests) will not work as well and might be just uncomfortable in very humid conditions.

I second 2daMax. A nylon and vented sport tshirt works well under a mesh jacket.

·
Super Moderator
18,974 Posts
I haven't dropped the dime yet, but I have several friends who use evaporative vests during the Texas summer and like them. The idea is simple: soak it in water, wring it out, and put it on beneath your jacket. The material retains some of the water between the inner and outer layers and provides cooling as the wind evaporates the water held in the vest. Friends say it works - up to several hours....:D
I just soak my tee-shirt, then put it on under whatever jacket I'm wearing. Usually where I ride there are creeks around, so once it starts to dry out I stop, remove jacket and tee, re-soak the tee and put it back on. My experience is that I get 2 to 3 hours of "cool", and I've done this in 110F here in the Okanagan, which is reasonably dry.
:yeahsmile:

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Hi guys: I am sure there have been threads about this, but I'll ask again: how do you stay cool when riding in the summer months where it is hot AND relatively humid (Mid-west, East)?
If you're considering an evaporative vest, this might interest you. Got an e-mail from Cycle Gear offering their $49.99 BILT cooling vest on sale for $34.99 (even though their web page still lists it at the full price).

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/cooling_vest/web1001053?esrc=vidi1&utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=051612BeathTheHeat&zjxj=04600004W549801W1221W2

·
Registered
448 Posts
Open vents on jacket and try to keep moving.

If it gets really hot and the humidity isn't at 90+ I wet my underarmour shirt and go (I have 4 I mainly use for yardwork and riding). Also stay hydrated this is key. The more heat you have the more sweat you will have. I also wear just my overpants and skivvies during my rides when it is hot as my pants aren't mesh but have a vent and breathable panels in key areas. Don't worry guys I will never offer my overpants for sale.

Also try and find a shady road to ride home on. During the beastly summers in Maryland I avoid the highway and just take the backroads. Takes a bit longer but the fact that I have shade 95% of the way home makes up for it.

I actually prefer riding in the cold over the heat. I can always remove layers if I get too hot in the cold. Summer I'm stuck with what I am wearing for the most part and under my gear that is minimal decency.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts