Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the heat and humidity climb into the 90s, steps must be taken...

·
Registered
445 Posts
Nicely done! I bought a medium size Camelback bladder. I fill it and put in frig overnight. Then I slip it in the pocket on the back of the jacket in front of the back armor. Then I string the tube over my shoulder. Plus the cool against my back helps for a while. Of course my modular helmet makes it easier to access the mouthpiece, although I try to restrict that to when we are stopped.

·
Super Moderator
19,636 Posts
Nicely done! I bought a medium size Camelback bladder. I fill it and put in frig overnight. Then I slip it in the pocket on the back of the jacket in front of the back armor. Then I string the tube over my shoulder. Plus the cool against my back helps for a while. Of course my modular helmet makes it easier to access the mouthpiece, although I try to restrict that to when we are stopped.
I have knapsacks that are complete w/ a 3L hydration pack in AZ and in BC, and use them whenever I go on a long trip (beyond an overnight), the 'bite-valve' attached to the end of my helmet strap. For 'day-rides' I carry a couple of water bottles in a saddle-bag, stopping now-and-then to hydrate.

:yeahsmile:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can't tell from the pic, but it's got a bite valve, and the pink thingie clipped to the tank bag is a thin cable retractor to keep the tubing from flying around or falling. Alternatively, it could be clipped to a jacket. I keep the drinking end inside the tank bag's external pocket until I want a drink. The fabric water cooler holder is straps to the bike's frame and passenger peg. The wife of a guy over on the ADV forum makes these if anyone is interested, but others have rigged up similar systems on their own. This is the 2nd bike I've used it on.

·
Registered
264 Posts
You can't tell from the pic, but it's got a bite valve, and the pink thingie clipped to the tank bag is a thin cable retractor to keep the tubing from flying around or falling.
This sounds a bit like the hydration solution I cobbled together several years back. It worked perfectly on the long distance trips I used to make in the summer. See how I made it HERE. It's small enough that it would fit on the back seat of the Versys.

Here it is in action. You can see the blue drink tube come from the small Coleman chest full of ice water:

·
Super Moderator
19,636 Posts
FWIW - I never try for iced water, because on long trips it's difficult to do that. So, for ME - 'WET' is all I look for, but LOTS of it!

·
Registered
264 Posts
FWIW - I never try for iced water, because on long trips it's difficult to do that. So, for ME - 'WET' is all I look for, but LOTS of it!

When on a long trip, I fill it completely with ice, then add water. Throughout the day, the ice melts creating more water. It stays cold just about all day long. If it's an especially hot, long day, and the ice gets low, I may get a cup full of ice from McDonald's and throw it in. I'll even dump in left over ice from a fountain drink. On those high mileage days at 100+ degrees, cold water will help keep your core temperature in check.

One other thing. I also be sure to eat salty snacks when I stop for gas to help replace electrolytes. I've also been known to just add a little salt to the water, but not enough that I would be able to taste it.

The next morning, I fill it back up with ice from the motel's ice maker. The Coleman chest has a 5 quart capacity so it doesn't take more than one or two of those ice buckets that you find in your room.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yours is a bit more sophisticated than mine -- nice!

This sounds a bit like the hydration solution I cobbled together several years back. It worked perfectly on the long distance trips I used to make in the summer. See how I made it HERE. It's small enough that it would fit on the back seat of the Versys.

Here it is in action. You can see the blue drink tube come from the small Coleman chest full of ice water:

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Humm at first glance I was thinking urine relief tube...Lol.

Oh so you have one of those too????

Just be careful not to mix them up!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
19,636 Posts
...Just be careful not to mix them up!!!!!!!!
Ever watch "Catch 22"?

Remember the fellow all bandaged-up, in 'traction', w/ intravenous tubes everywhere, and a relief tube? Remember a nurse walking up to him (in the background of MANY scenes) and changing the TWO tubes, one for the other...?

>:)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Are you saying we should drink a couple quarts of beer before going on a ride?:grin2::grin2:

·
Super Moderator
19,636 Posts
Are you saying we should drink a couple quarts of beer before going on a ride?:grin2::grin2:
Of COURSE he wasn't - but once the ride is OVER....;)

:cheers: - :cheers:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts