Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greeting from Staunton Va. Thinking about some alternative exhaust options to rid the bike of the off kilter 180-540 firing pulse. Unequal headers come to mind, such as a subaru. Thoughts?

Rich :)

·
Super Moderator
19,138 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,147 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Greeting from Staunton Va. Thinking about some alternative exhaust options to rid the bike of the off kilter 180-540 firing pulse. Unequal headers come to mind, such as a subaru. Thoughts?
Rich :)
The uneven firing pattern of the V is not a problem... it's a feature! ;)

The unequal header idea sounds interesting, but I thought that it is normally done to smooth out the torque curve for some engine designs? :huh:

·
Super Moderator
1,484 Posts
If you put on an aftermarket exhaust you will remove restriction and backpressure in the headers where the joining pipe shares gasses. I'm saying it will do it less so removing the joining pipe is moot.

As a test I put my LeoVince restrictor disc in over the weekend to see how it affected things. The disc is 50mm diam with five 9mm holes. Effectively it reduced the 50mm pipe to 17mm diameter. It basically choked the bike close to stock feel and sound - back to sounding like a zing zing sewing machine and huge engine braking which I do not like.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Headers

Another thought that comes to mind is a dual exhaust setup. One pipe and one canister per cylinder. Think 1998 Suzuki TL1000S, and if one header was say... 6-8 inches longer it might sound more like a 270 degree crank/90degree L-twin

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
My intuition tells me that modifying the exhaust header lengths will not "mask" the V's 180-540 firing sound. I'll have to think about the physics behind my statement though and get back to you. Interesting...

·
Super Moderator
19,138 Posts
Something that comes to mind, is the "Ramchargers" A/FX hemi car back in the mid-60s. They had (Hillborn???) fuel injection, w/ the lengths of the injector ram-tubes at different lengths, ostensibly to spread the torque curve out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts