Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big Bonus is its also shaft drive. But the gas tank is kinda small....The GT version...

·
Registered
530 Posts
Not exactly down sizing ;). I was thinking about the Vulcan S. Lighter, low seat height, forward controls. Adjustable ergos for big guys.Owners love em!

I Like this guys review.

·
Premium Member
7,808 Posts
Was looking at the Kawasaki Vulcan , but not enough time for two bike. BTW ,are you transiting because of your back and knees.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Haha. I have a Honda CTX700 (manual, not the dual-clutch version) and it's the easiest bike I've ever owned to paddle around the parking lot. Super low seat height and low CG. Suspension is the only thing "wrong" with the bike, IMO. Not enough travel. They're rare enough people still ask "What kind of bike is that?" I've got a 2014 white, with fairing and saddlebags. Looks great and is a mellow cruiser and nice commuter. Some guys tour on them. Not very fast, but it's a relaxing state of mind kind of bike. Other than a low seat height and forward foot controls, pretty much the opposite of the Rocket.

·
Premium Member
16,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was looking at the Kawasaki Vulcan , but not enough time for two bike. BTW ,are you transiting because of your back and knees.

Yep, My knees and hip. Need something a little easier to get on and off...

·
Registered
970 Posts
Yep, My knees and hip. Need something a little easier to get on and off...
I understand that.........I'm liking the 883 Sportster except for the forward controls. I would rather have the mid controls, but I'm going to try a ProPac rider backrest first.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
I understand that.........I'm liking the 883 Sportster except for the forward controls. I would rather have the mid controls, but I'm going to try a ProPac rider backrest first.
You can get the sportster in mid or forward controls.

I like the Lowrider except for the mid controls. Nothing a few hundred dollars won't solve.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,626 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
For me, hydraulic valve lash adjusters and belt or shaft drive is what makes a cruiser advantageous. Take that away and I would rather have a UJM.
I had all that in my Vulcan 1600 Classic, including a comfortable, low seat height and forward floor boards. Going down the freeway it felt like riding a couch. Unfortunately, it handled like a couch too! It was a was a tank at slow speeds and you had to muscle it in the turns. No fun in the twisties. Don't miss that at all. The Versys returned me to the real joy of riding. Sometimes less is best.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Code:
I had all that in my Vulcan 1600 Classic, including a comfortable, low seat height and forward floor boards. Going down the freeway it felt like riding a couch. Unfortunately, it handled like a couch too! It was a was a tank at slow speeds and you had to muscle it in the turns. No fun in the twisties. Don't miss that at all. The Versys returned me to the real joy of riding. Sometimes less is best.
You chose the wrong cruiser. ;) You should have tried the Mean Streak. My 1600 Mean Streak with USD forks, sport bike wheels, tires, and brakes was a pretty good performer but not for the unskilled rider for sure.

·
Registered
970 Posts

I like the Lowrider except for the mid controls. Nothing a few hundred dollars won't solve.
I've got a Hugger which has forward controls......used mid controls are $150-$200 on eBay. I'll keep watching....the Protac rest is $140 from Speedy's.

·
Registered
363 Posts

The Low Rider S is back BTW. And it still looks like it will be the best performing bike Harley makes, just like the last one (remember it came out after the death of the V-rod). Basically, same motor and suspension as the FXDR, without the obnoxious 240 rear, a hair lighter, and comparable lean angle. The styling is also less divisive than the FXDR.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Code:
You chose the wrong cruiser. ;) You should have tried the Mean Streak. My 1600 Mean Streak with USD forks, sport bike wheels, tires, and brakes was a pretty good performer but not for the unskilled rider for sure.
See also Yamaha Warrior, a sport cruiser with 37 degree max lean angle and sportbike tire sizes. Can be found for about 5-7k on the used market.

·
Registered
363 Posts
For me, hydraulic valve lash adjusters and belt or shaft drive is what makes a cruiser advantageous. Take that away and I would rather have a UJM.
Interestingly enough, the new Indian FTR has hydraulic lifters, no valve adjustment needed, still chain drive though. Though how often do you find a 125hp bike with hydraulic lifters, the M109 is about the only other one I can think of.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Interestingly enough, the new Indian FTR has hydraulic lifters, no valve adjustment needed, still chain drive though. Though how often do you find a 125hp bike with hydraulic lifters, the M109 is about the only other one I can think of.
Didn't know that. Just assumed it was like the Vrod that had shim under bucket.

The FTR is more bike than I want at this point in my riding journey, but I do like the looks of it. The local dealer does offer test rides and the 80 mile backroad ride to get to him is fun. Mmm.

I am being drawn to an Air Cooled Ducati Monster or Scrambler, the triumph 900 air cooled Scrambler, or the BMW R-nine-T Urban Enduro, but do want to check out the new Royal Enfield 650s. Used Monsters are typically thrashed, but several used Scramblers are showing up in the marketplace. Haven't seen any used R-nine-T in the used market yet.

I did test ride the Scramblers when they first came out but didn't think they were worth the price plus dealer fees at the time. Plus, no close dealer. 2 hours north or 2 hours south or 3 hours east if I needed any dealer service help.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts