Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY 09 Versys use to start in 1st gear with kick-stand up. Couple days ago, it wouldn't start unless kick-stand was up and in neutral. Removed switch and check operation and connections. Switch is working ok. Every once in awhile when i start engine and switch to first gear from neutral it dies. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
281 Posts
If you start it in neutral then shift to first and it dies, it sounds like the sensor that detects if the kickstand is down. I know you said you checked the switch, but how did you confirm that it's working okay?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked switch with volt ohm meter. I suspect intermittent wire connection on kick-stand switch. I remove the switch which consist of wiring harness and physical switch. Everything is working ok according to the meter. The funny thing about this whole mess it that if I push and hold start button for 5-6 seconds, sometimes it starts in first gear. I might order a new kick-stand switch.

·
Super Moderator
19,152 Posts
I had similar issues w/ my '08. Sprayed that switch coming off the front of the clutch-lever w/ WD40, let it 'soak-in'. Fixed my problem.

:goodluck:

·
Premium Member
7,811 Posts
Mine is a 09 and never had a problem with kick stand switch . Use some contact spay to clean them and you should be good ...hope it works for you.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I had similar issues w/ my '08. Sprayed that switch coming off the front of the clutch-lever w/ WD40, let it 'soak-in'. Fixed my problem.
I had this problem on another bike and the solution was exactly the same except that I used Radio Shack contact cleaner. Opened up the right had clam shell of switches, sprayed the kill switch good (might have spray all switches in it but don't remember) , flicked the kill switch back and forth an number of times, and never had another problem with it.

·
Super Moderator
19,152 Posts
ok...explain where you sprayed it .....thanks. this is driving me crazy!!!
I just disconnected the plug from the switch and sprayed the WD40 BOTH ways, near as I can remember....

·
Registered
638 Posts

:goodluck:
I did the same thing with either WD or some type of electrical contact spray and it corrected the problem. I am talking about the connection that is up on the handlebar, having taken it apart, spraying, reconnecting, and voila, it worked.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts