Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this item from ABC news today. It's living proof that our legislators are hard at work protecting us from ourselves. :D

QUOTE An unusual law taking effect at midnight is Public Act 97-743 in Illinois. This law imposes a fine of $1,000 on anyone who pops a wheelie on a motorcycle while speeding. While this law might upset some motorcyclists, the state is now giving them a free pass to go through red lights.

Motorcycles are often not heavy enough to trigger magnetic sensors at traffic lights to inform them a vehicle has pulled up. Motorcyclists usually have to wait for a car to pull up before the light turns green.

The new bill states that after a "reasonable" amount of time, the motorcycle could pass the red light if the coast is clear. The law doesn't apply to cities where the population exceeds 2 million people. END QUOTE

This apparently necessary piece of legislation implies the great state of Illinois has a major problem with speeding motorcyclists popping wheelies at the Defenders of Public Safety (Rozzers to some). It also impliies that popping a wheelie while NOT speeding is perfectly legal.

I wonder if it also means motorcyclists who ride between population centers will have to carry a census guide to check the official number of citizens on record before passing a red light after a "reasonable" amount of time?? Then again, I often wonder about all sorts of wierd things. :D

Happy New Year one and all :thumb:

·
Registered
202 Posts
It would appear that as long as you don't do it in Chicago, you would be safe in the rest of Illinois. A quick query of population of towns in that state shows no other cities of any size that would be excluded except Chicago. YRMV

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Very Interesting.. Wheelies in Virginia on a public street is considered wreck less driving no matter where or what the population is.

My guess is that wheelies are illegal everywhere in Illinois as well but they can tack on an additional $1000 fine if caught speeding in the process.

VA already has the red light bypass law. We must wait for two full cycles or 120 seconds. I just wait for the cycle to pass me by and look for cops and go when it is clear. So glad we passed this law last year!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I don't know if it's still the law but in Florida a Popping a Wheelie on a sport bike could cost you your bike! The law said a police officer could impound and seize your bike for that Wheelie, but only a sport bike the way the law was written. Seem like the Police were to be Judge, Jury and Executioner all rolled into one.

There are a couple of light here I won't even try to go through on a bike. I never have seen a bike trip them and sat through one 5 cycles before running it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts