Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my front stock brake pads with new EBC 142 HH on my 2015 V650 ABS model. On my test ride, starting at about 15mph I could hear a squealing (keeeeee) sound from the front. The sound seems to stay constant once it starts and it goes away below 15mph. After about 15 min ride with brakes used sparingly the front rotors were quite warm compared to the rear ones. Looks like the new pads make some contact with rotor even when the brake is not applied. If I spin the front wheel by hand i could hear it swoosh. Could that be causing the sound?

I had also replaced the front tire recently, could something have gone wrong there to cause this? Appreciate any ideas you might have.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I replaced my front stock brake pads with new EBC 142 HH on my 2015 V650 ABS model. On my test ride, starting at about 15mph I could hear a squealing (keeeeee) sound from the front. The sound seems to stay constant once it starts and it goes away below 15mph. After about 15 min ride with brakes used sparingly the front rotors were quite warm compared to the rear ones. Looks like the new pads make some contact with rotor even when the brake is not applied. If I spin the front wheel by hand i could hear it swoosh. Could that be causing the sound?

I had also replaced the front tire recently, could something have gone wrong there to cause this? Appreciate any ideas you might have.
There was/is a hit or miss issue with some part numbers of EBC pads. The coating was sometimes too thick in the holes that slide on the mounting posts, causing them to hang up. Something worth checking out, and it is free.

Reactions: quexpress

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was/is a hit or miss issue with some part numbers of EBC pads. The coating was sometimes too thick in the holes that slide on the mounting posts, causing them to hang up. Something worth checking out, and it is free.
I do see that the pad that is supposed to stationary (the one not next to the pistons) is way more free moving than the original pads. Is it okay to sand the coating to make it fit the tab? Do I need to put any grease between the pad and the wall of the caliper to make it less noisy?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I do see that the pad that is supposed to stationary (the one not next to the pistons) is way more free moving than the original pads. Is it okay to sand the coating to make it fit the tab? Do I need to put any grease between the pad and the wall of the caliper to make it less noisy?
Steve is correct, make sure nothing on the pad is hanging up on the caliper body or pins.

As for grease the following video will give you some some important guidance.

Good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Constant squealing with EBC HH sintered pads

Steve is correct, make sure nothing on the pad is hanging up on the caliper body or pins.

As for grease the following video will give you some some important guidance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xITumgvvS4

Good luck.
I tried reinstalling and followed proper greasing procedure on the back of the pads. I am quite sure there is nothing wrong in the installation itself. But the constant keeeeeeee sound is always there above 15mph. If I put back the old pads the sounds goes away. I went to the dealership to get the OEM pads and happened to speak to the service department there. The mechanic said the EBCs are high friction and they do produce such sound compared to OEM. Is this a known issues with EBCs then, should I just ignore it or try OEMs?

·
Super Moderator
19,442 Posts
...Is this a known issues with EBCs then, should I just ignore it or try OEMs?...
I have EBC HH pads on both my V650s and I've not noticed a sound like you describe.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I tried reinstalling and followed proper greasing procedure on the back of the pads. I am quite sure there is nothing wrong in the installation itself. But the constant keeeeeeee sound is always there above 15mph. If I put back the old pads the sounds goes away. I went to the dealership to get the OEM pads and happened to speak to the service department there. The mechanic said the EBCs are high friction and they do produce such sound compared to OEM. Is this a known issues with EBCs then, should I just ignore it or try OEMs?
I have the same bike (2015) as yours and am using the same brake pads with zero noise. Are you sure the floating portion of the caliper is able to smoothly move in and out on the pins? If not this could cause your trouble. The pins are the most important item for you to grease.

Also is your front brake reservoir serviced properly? Can you see the top of the fluid in the sight glass? If it is too full (over serviced) it could potentially cause your pucks and pads to not fully retract when you release the brake lever. This would cause the pads to drag on the rotors making the sound you describe.

Reactions: PCX

·
Registered
824 Posts
Were the pads bedded in?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Were the pads bedded in?
Since I don't know what bedded-in means, very unlikely I did that. What does it involve? After putting the pads on I test drove for 15 mins and the noise was always there (even without braking)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the same bike (2015) as yours and am using the same brake pads with zero noise. Are you sure the floating portion of the caliper is able to smoothly move in and out on the pins? If not this could cause your trouble. The pins are the most important item for you to grease.

Also is your front brake reservoir serviced properly? Can you see the top of the fluid in the sight glass? If it is too full (over serviced) it could potentially cause your pucks and pads to not fully retract when you release the brake lever. This would cause the pads to drag on the rotors making the sound you describe.

Yes, I had used silicone grease on the pin and the pads slide over them easily.

I have not serviced the brake reservoir in a long time. But I can see the top of the fluid in the sight glass. It does look like pads could be dragging on the rotors. I probably should service the brake fluid and the perhaps keep the level the fluid level on the lower side.

·
Super Moderator
19,442 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

·
Registered
824 Posts
Yes, I had used silicone grease on the pin and the pads slide over them easily.

I have not serviced the brake reservoir in a long time. But I can see the top of the fluid in the sight glass. It does look like pads could be dragging on the rotors. I probably should service the brake fluid and the perhaps keep the level the fluid level on the lower side.
If it's been two years(or more?:eek: ) since purging the brake fluid, it is time to do it. The act of squeezing the pistons in to make room for the new pads may have dislodged a piece of "gack" and it became lodged in the really, really small return hole in the bottom of the master cylinder reservoir causing the pads/pistons to hang up and not disengage fully.

Hopefully your system isn't loaded up with gack, it can be tough to get it all. I would say at a minimum you would be looking at disassembling and cleaning/rebuilding the master cylinder to be sure that there isn't any more of it hidden. and maybe cleaning the lines and rebuilding the calipers.

Brakes are kind of important in the overall scheme of things, you want to make sure that they are right.

Reactions: PCX

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If it's been two years(or more?:eek: ) since purging the brake fluid, it is time to do it. The act of squeezing the pistons in to make room for the new pads may have dislodged a piece of "gack" and it became lodged in the really, really small return hole in the bottom of the master cylinder reservoir causing the pads/pistons to hang up and not disengage fully.

Hopefully your system isn't loaded up with gack, it can be tough to get it all. I would say at a minimum you would be looking at disassembling and cleaning/rebuilding the master cylinder to be sure that there isn't any more of it hidden. and maybe cleaning the lines and rebuilding the calipers.

Brakes are kind of important in the overall scheme of things, you want to make sure that they are right.
Ohh boy, I am really worried now! I will first service the brake fluid first and see if it helps.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Ohh boy, I am really worried now! I will first service the brake fluid first and see if it helps.
Purging brake fluid is a bit more involved with ABS, IIRC. You'll either want to take it to a shop that has the equipment to run the ABS pump or bleed them out and go on a dirt road or snow and activate the ABS, i.e. jam on the brakes, one at a time, then bleed again. Use caution with the front but it should be OK assuming everything is functional.

I haven't heard of any ABS issues on a Versys but there have been some reports of brake failure(as in the brakes do not work, on the 1400 Concours. The ABS pump gets corroded from the old fluid not being removed. It did happen to friend of mine that was/is notorious for not doing preventative maintenance. He had owned the bike for about six years, never having bled the brake or clutch system. He rear ended the car in front of him, thankfully just some nasty bruises as he was wearing his gear. Ironically, he was on his way to trade the bike for a Harley.

Good luck. Skol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts