Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear brake has had a squeak under light pedal pressure since new, it's a 2016 650 LT with ABS and almost 5000 miles on it, any suggestions on a fix or cause? The pads look fine from the outside and I've never had the tire off to check them out.

·
Registered
307 Posts
What does the surface of the rotor look like? If it is not gouged, you might try giving it and the pads a good cleaning with compressed air and brake cleaner.

Randy

·
Registered
587 Posts
Welcome to the world of 2 wheel disk brake maintenance! Gotta clean the disks and keep them clean,I use alcohol and steel wool or sometimes fine emory paper to scuff the surface a bit.Gets a coating from the pads and heat I think.Or any bit of oil,including from your hand.Worse on my mountain bicycle which gets really squeaky and annoying after coming down a long steep dusty trail....

·
Registered
667 Posts
> clean the disks

Sorry but I never cleaned disks in all these years and never had any breaking issue. I do avoid touching or contanimating though.

> squeaking

This is occasional for me. Not related to old or new pads. In fact, you can even get uneven bake pad wear. I mean uneven at an angle, not just one pad vs the other which is also possible. When my rear brake pads were finished, one edge was nearly 2mm higher than the other! All that to say, there is a lot of loose and free play in there, but 2 things can go wrong:

a) the caliper cylinder jams or pushes at some angle. I think that's what happened to me. Excessive constant wear. Somehow, changing the pads fixed the problem .I suspect it is because it pushed the cylinder back in and unjammed+lubed it.

b) the front has floating disk but not the rear. This is likely your root cause. of squeaking, afaik. But I wouldn't call it a problem, unless it sqeaks for thousands of miles.

Make sure you get that checked at your upcoming inspection. The first 12'000m is the worse. Things are setting in, including your worries. But you are at the right place and we are happy to help!

·
Registered
483 Posts
This is often reported on Gen3s. My 2015 did it often when new. A few owners reported warped disks that were replaced under warranty. I think mine was just dragging just a little bit, not enough to really worry about it. Cleaning the disk only helped for a little while. Maybe cleaning/greasing the slider pin would help.

Reactions: quexpress

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Cleaning is a good first step but I am thinking the pads may be glazed.

Remove the caliper and pull out the pads. Check the surface for signs of glazing. They should look dull and not shiney.

If shiney you need to break the glaze. Grab a quarter sheet of 400 wet/dry. Find a nice flat surface, a table of piece of flat glass. Lay you quarter sheet on the flat surface and using light pressure and circular motion re-surface the pads until the shiney is gone.

Clean all parts with brake cleaner and apply a small amount of high temp brake grease on the areas where the pads contact the caliper.

Good luck.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Well said hawkerjet.I have to clean and scuff the pads on my mountain bike if cleaning the disks doesn't work.I use 400 grit emory as well.The glaze is what squeaks,thats why I keep my disks clean,glaze free...

·
Super Moderator
19,152 Posts
---The pads look fine from the outside and I've never had the tire off to check them out.
As 'hawkerjet' said - remove your calipers (easily done!) for a 'looksee'. NO need to remove the wheel to check. Reinstall at 18'/# of torque.

·
Registered
363 Posts

Remove the caliper and pull out the pads. Check the surface for signs of glazing. They should look dull and not shiney.

If shiney you need to break the glaze. Grab a quarter sheet of 400 wet/dry. Find a nice flat surface, a table of piece of flat glass. Lay you quarter sheet on the flat surface and using light pressure and circular motion re-surface the pads until the shiney is gone.

Clean all parts with brake cleaner and apply a small amount of high temp brake grease on the areas where the pads contact the caliper.

Good luck.
EBC specifically cautions to not put ANY grease on the back of a sintered pad, apparently the grease can absorb into the backing plate and actually make its way to the contact surface. Brake grease on the sliding pins is a good idea though.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
EBC specifically cautions to not put ANY grease on the back of a sintered pad, apparently the grease can absorb into the backing plate and actually make its way to the contact surface. Brake grease on the sliding pins is a good idea though.
Interesting. I never put grease on the back of pads. Guess I should have been more specific when I mentioned grease. I wonder if EBC's warning is something the legal department cooked up to cover their arses should something go wrong.

Cannot imagine any grease penetrating solid metal. Perhaps a very liberal amount could come in contact with the edges of the friction material then wick it's way to the pad surface.

This concept reminds me of the guy who after washing his bike, decided to spruce up the side walls with some armor all. Unfortunately he got carried away and rubbed some unto the edges of the tread as well. Poor dude took an asphalt nap the first time he went around a corner.:surprise:

·
Registered
449 Posts
Are you sure? EBC actually manufactures such a grease. https://ebcbrakes.com/product/ebc-caliper-brake-lube/ and I really fail to see how any product can infuse through steel.
I always put the merest smear on the back of brake pads and both sides of the SS anti-squeal plate.

And there is also this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/LARGE-EBC-ANTI-SQUEAL-SELF-ADHESIVE-BRAKE-PAD-SHIMS-NOISE-REDUCTION-152mm-x-51mm/222026723334?epid=1543006527&hash=item33b1d2f006:g:ApEAAOSwDuJWxIHK&_sacat=0&_nkw=ebc+brake+pad+anti+squeal&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
This is often reported on Gen3s.
Yes ... many times ... by many Gen 3 owners!

My 2015 did it often when new. A few owners reported warped disks that were replaced under warranty. I think mine was just dragging just a little bit, not enough to really worry about it. Cleaning the disk only helped for a little while. Maybe cleaning/greasing the slider pin would help.
I tried many things and eventually got fed up with this quirk on my 2015. I have then installed a 2014 ABS rear caliper, ABS disc and caliper holder. It has NEVER squeaked, etc. since then (a few years ago).

·
Registered
279 Posts

Good luck.
putting grease sparingly on the back of the pad where it contacts the caliper pistons is standard practice and can help with squeaky brakes. just don't get any caliper grease on the sides/front of the pad where it contacts the disc or you'll have major problems braking. apply caliper grease sparingly.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My rear brake has had a squeak under light pedal pressure since new, it's a 2016 650 LT with ABS and almost 5000 miles on it, any suggestions on a fix or cause? The pads look fine from the outside and I've never had the tire off to check them out.

My 2018 had a squeaking rear brake almost from new exactly as you described (Under light pressure). Began with only a few hundred km's and continued until I put new tires on at 9000 kms. Now with about a 1000 kms on the new tires, no squeaking.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
My 2018 had a squeaking rear brake almost from new exactly as you described (Under light pressure). Began with only a few hundred km's and continued until I put new tires on at 9000 kms. Now with about a 1000 kms on the new tires, no squeaking.
So could we conclude you now have squeaky clean tires?

Sorry couldn't resist...Lol.:grin2:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts