Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Shoei Qwest that’s a couple years or so old. Now it is a good helmet BUT I made one mistake when I bought it. I got a black one. I have seen the light and am shifting over to Hi-Vis gear and bought a HJC FC-17 in Hi-Vis. BUT the Shoei is too good to just toss so I decided to rehab it. I thought about it and decided paint was not a good idea, the solvents can destroy the foam so I was thinking how else I could do it and came up with an idea when I was installing rim tape on my bike. Why not on the helmet? It comes in lot of colors and some are reflective as well. So I picked a roll of Hi-Vis yellow plus a roll of red reflective tape and put on my “Thinking Cap” to come up with something I could do without going nuts. I’m not the most artistic person, strait line and simple are my style. I came up with what seems like a workable design and started in.

First thing was the pull the helmet down and scrub it good. So the cheek pads came out and the shield off along with the mechanism that holds it to the helmet, 2 screws each. I then washed it good with hot soapy water, dried it and wiped it down with bit of alcohol to remove any wax or grease.

So here’s what I’m starting with. Not bad but a bit plain and dark. I soon changed that.

I started on one side and just 9 strips of Hi-Vis tape running front to back. I spaced the tape as close to the same as it is wide. The loose ends in the “Well” will be cover by the shield mechanism so I did not get carried away trimming it. The left side has a little more molding in the “Well” because of the shield lock set-up on the Shoei. The right side is easier to do.

On the rear I used reflective red. It’s a little harder to work with as it doesn’t from a curve as easily been stiffer. I need to do a bit more work but you get the idea.

You can get an idea of the rear with the flash on. I think it’ll light up fairly well when a car’s behind me.

Not too bad for an Old Duffer. It took me about 4 hours mainly due to me not being very artistic. I just wanted to add a bit of Hi-Vis and reflective tape to a black helmet. Can’t hurt and might help me be seen and NOT flattened! Total cost about $30.00 for a couple rolls of rim tape, plus there's a lot left over so I’ll add red to the rear of the HJC. I’m sure some of you guys could do a lot better.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
When you said you bought tape, I was terrified about what it was going to look like. But that looks petty good.

·
Premium Member
16,195 Posts
:thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks guys. BUT I have HIGH Standards to live up to. A Friend, Sly, wanted something on her Plain Jane helmet, bicycle helmet that is. She got a large piece of Scotch light and laid out a Dragon from a book and then free hand cut it. Took her about a week BUT it looked super and I hated to see her retire that lid and she refuses to do another. BUT like I said I'm a strait line kind of guy.

·
Registered
538 Posts
That looks good.

I've got an old helmet that I want to revive and found a video from a guy who plasti dipped his in hi vis and it looked pretty decent....I want to give it a try.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Looks good Time. This is what I did to my Shoei Qwest. I got the reflective tape from some local auto parts place. It glows pretty well at night, but certainly is a bit more visible during the daytime too.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts