Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read allot of info on going to a 16 tooth front sprocket. The down side seems to be harmonic noise. Why not keep the stock front sprocket and go down one tooth on the rear? It would have the same effect without the noise...right?

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
You'd have to go 3 down on the rear to 15/43 to be close to 16/46's ratio. Then the chain may be too close to swingarm, and you'd probably have to remove a chain link. There is really no problem with the damper-less 16 CS sprocket like I use. I really have to try to hear it on purpose to detect a slight harmonic hum at a certain speed. It's nothing to worry about at all.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I agree, not that big a deal, but had to mention it to be fair. It seems worse with loose chain and a hot day plus long ride on slab at 80mph. Only occurs between 50-52 indicated.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the wrong impression then. If the range it happens it that small...no BFD. I did read that to fit the Ninja Sprocket with the damper you have to grind something down on it...what is it that needs grinding? I have the equipment, but lack the direction.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
The 3mm thick shoulder on one side would have to be ground down perfectly flat, without melting the rubber damper, to bring it down to 5.8 mm... I don't recommend it.

Attachments

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 3mm thick shoulder on one side would have to be ground down perfectly flat, without melting the rubber damper, to bring it down to 5.8 mm... I don't recommend it.
Thanks, you just saved me a few bucks. I was going to try it, but I could not have pulled it of with a grinder and hand files. Any body have access to a CNC machine?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have a manual mill and large Monarch 18x60 lathe, and yes I could take it down to required thickness, but I am not going to buy one that has the rubber dampener as I am happy with my plain jane one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts