Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Sprockets Change on the Versys 1000

12K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  fasteddiecopeman 
#1 ·

#3 ·
#4 ·
I had a 2011 Ninja 1000. Same motor as the V-1000. I switched to a 16 tooth front sprocket and loved it. Dropped the freeway speed rpm down about 500 rpm and fixed the speedo error.

That front sprocket nut was a real bear. You must have a good quality half inch impact. I ended up taking the bike to a shop where the guy had a good impact and the nut came right off.

I recently installed new sprockets and chain on my V-650 and the front sprocket nut is a royal PITA on it too. Fortunately my son in law owns a quality half inch impact. I borrowed it and the nut was no match for it's torque.

You will enjoy your new gear ratio.

#5 ·
Are you changing just the front sprocket, or both the front and back? I just ordered a 16/42 from JT to replace the 15/43. I too am curious about how this will mess up the computer readings. Does anyone know if there are computer settings that can be modified to reflect this change?

The Versys engine is simply geared too low; a perfect candidate for a 7-speed transmission IMHO.

#7 · (Edited)
I have ordered new sorockets (16/42) and will be getting them installed in a few weeks.

Currently on my V1k, here are some performance specs based on my driving style and experience running 93 octane fuel. I am carrying a Drybag 600 with about 100 lbs of gear. No pillion.

At highway speeds of 70-75 mph, my rpms are ~4250 and ~4400 respectively, ~48 mpg.

At highway speeds of 55-60 mph, my rpms are ~3400 rpm, ~51.4 mpg.

I will tell you how these stats change with the new sprockets installed.

Attachments

#8 ·
After further research, I see others that have made this sprocket change have experienced issues with the gear indicator reading a gear higher after second gear. I think I will pass for now on it for now. Being pretty OCD, that would annoy me to death. :|

Thanks to all who have performed or explored this issue.

I have ordered new sprockets (16/42) and will be getting them installed in a few weeks.

Currently on my V1k, here are some performance specs based on my driving style and experience running 93 octane fuel. I am carrying a Drybag 600 with about 100 lbs of gear. No pillion.

At highway speeds of 70-75 mph, my rpms are ~4250 and ~4400 respectively, ~48 mpg.

At highway speeds of 55-60 mph, my rpms are ~3400 rpm, ~51.4 mpg.

I will tell you how these stats change with the new sprockets installed.

#9 ·
rear sprocket change only, or both?

hi all,

my 2018 1000LT has about 1300 miles on it now. but i really dont care at all for the extremely low gearing of it and dont expect my opinion will change much.

i see that stock the front/rear tooth count is 15/43. in my searches here, havent found alot of feedback for which makes more sense to change. i'm leaning towards the rear sprocket only and reducing it to a 42 or 41 tooth (roughly 2.5 - 4.6% reduction). thats roughly the equivalent of 1.5 - 2.0 inches. (increasing the front by 1 tooth is about a 6.6% increase and more that i think i want for now...)
not sure much that would affect the chain adjustments. FYI: the speedo/mileage change doesnt bother me at all, with this small a change.

first hand experience with this change is what i'm hoping for. any out there?

thanks all....

#10 ·
hi all,

my 2018 1000LT has about 1300 miles on it now. but i really dont care at all for the extremely low gearing of it and dont expect my opinion will change much.

i see that stock the front/rear tooth count is 15/43. in my searches here, havent found alot of feedback for which makes more sense to change. i'm leaning towards the rear sprocket only and reducing it to a 42 or 41 tooth (roughly 2.5 - 4.6% reduction). thats roughly the equivalent of 1.5 - 2.0 inches. (increasing the front by 1 tooth is about a 6.6% increase and more that i think i want for now...)
not sure much that would affect the chain adjustments. FYI: the speedo/mileage change doesnt bother me at all, with this small a change.

first hand experience with this change is what i'm hoping for. any out there?

thanks all....
I have a 2016 1000..I changed the rear from 43 to 41. Much happier at highway speeds, didn’t notice a huge difference in acceleration.

#15 · (Edited)
i appreciate that feedback too, about the front sprocket. i read that on here, which is why i was aiming to do the rear instead. plus.... with 43 teeth on the rear, changing 1 tooth in either direction is a smaller (more controllable) change. on the front, 1 tooth is about a 6.6% change...

i must say though, that i expected a 2 tooth decrease on the rear to change the shift points some. but thats why i asked for someone who has tried and knows...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.