Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read about changing sprockets to get a lower rpm at highway speed. So far I'd read about either a 16T front or 45T rear. Today I read about a 44T rear. I believe stock is 15/46? Does anyone know the formula(s) to calculate the change in rpm with various sprocket sizes? Is there a need to alter the chain with any of these options and if so which? Thanks for any and all input.

·
Registered
254 Posts
No Formula, just math.

15:46 = .33
16:46 = .35
15:44 = .34
16:44 = .36

.35 x 100 / .33 = 106
(Where .33 is 100km/h, .35 will be 106km/h at the same RPM.)

or

.33 X 4200 / .35 = 3960
(Where 4200 RPM would get you 60mph with the 15:46, The 16:46 would get you 3960 RPM at the same 60mph.)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My hero was always the tortoise so I doubt it would be a problem. I can always drop down a gear if I need to. I'm thinking 15/43 or maybe even 15/42 to get good highway cruising and mpg returns but probably 15/43. Thanks for the links and the comments everyone.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have considered the possibility of needing to shorten the chain one link depending on final selection.

·
Super Moderator
19,023 Posts
IMHO - be CAREFUL gearing UP. If you're ever in a 'dodgy' situation, trying to turn around in 1st gear, it becomes very easy to get a "cough - STALL" fall-over situation, which can lead to all sorts of complications, to the bike as well as to YOU.

:goodluck:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just replaced my chain and sprockets - got just over 22,000km from the originals. Sounded like a grinder for the last few thousand km though. I ride in the rain a lot and didn't maintain the chain as well as I should have... I had installed a 43 tooth with the stock 15 and loved it. I wanted to install the same sizes, but my local store had issues getting them, so I settled on a 16 tooth front and a 45 tooth rear and and 520 X-ring chain (all JT Sprockets and a heavy duty JT Z1R520 chain). It came with a rivet master link which was a bit of a pain to install, but a ball peen hammer and a big block of steel between chain and rear tire and I was able to peen the rivets over perfectly. The most time was spent cleaning all the nasty chain lube off the wheel and the sprocket areas. Wow... what a difference! The bike is smoother, quieter, less chain snatch, etc. It is even a bit taller than my previous gearing, but works well. It even wheelies better - carries the front further. :) But as Eddie mentioned, with the fuel injection a bit touchy, slow rpm is a bit dicier. Still worth it in my humble opinion. Dave

·
Registered
37 Posts
I finally put a 44t on a few weeks ago, and there is no slow maneuver issues. First and second are more liveable and freeway revs are down. Overall, much nicer this way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
has anybody ever tried a smaller tooth sprocket for quicker takeoffs? i dont do much highway riding..like the better takeoffs and wheelie fun!

·
Super Moderator
19,023 Posts
1 - 20 of 70 Posts