Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have ordered a 15-tooth sprocket.
The stock 14-tooth sprocket is perfect for unsealed road touring. I hardly ever go faster than 70 km/h in the gravel and find that 5th gear is very relaxing for this.
I don't think there will be any problems, but I have heard that the sprocket nut takes a 27-mm socket and is hard to undo. Best to warm up the bike first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have ordered a 15-tooth sprocket.
The stock 14-tooth sprocket is perfect for unsealed road touring. I hardly ever go faster than 70 km/h in the gravel and find that 5th gear is very relaxing for this.
I don't think there will be any problems, but I have heard that the sprocket nut takes a 27-mm socket and is hard to undo. Best to warm up the bike first.
Thank you!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Best mod I've done!
Myself and two other riding buddies all have Versys-X 300s. One of the other bikes has the 15-tooth sprocket. It is definitely more relaxing to ride on the open road, since 100 km/h spins the 15-tooth bike to about 6,800 rpm, whereas my bike (14-toother) is revving significantly higher at 7,200.

The stock 14 teeth is over geared. No other bike I have ever owned will pull away happily in top gear from 60 km/h. Even my 2001 R6 gets unhappy at around 70 km/h in 6th gear, and my old Ducati 900SS would spit out its pasta if I let it drop below 90 km/h in 6th gear and then attempt to pull away.

Why have a gearbox if you find yourself in 6th from 60 km/h? Hell, I am already in 3rd gear before I cross intersections after taking off at the red light! It's ridiculous! That tells me that the bike is geared too low.

On the other hand, the stock gearing is ideal for dirt roads and tight sealed roads. It's just not ideal for highways and open roads.

Having said that, the Versys-X is only a 300, so I wouldn't want to gear her up any more than an extra tooth in the front sprocket. She does like to rev! (And does it very happily.)

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Welcome. Check out this thread if you want to convert from the 14t rubber sprocket to a 15t rubber sprocket. There is currently no direct 15t rubber sprocket replacement for the x300, but you can shim a thinner 15t rubber sprocket with washers instead. I just received the parts and will be following this thread to do this modification soon.

Just a fair warning though, the required washers have been difficult to get a hold of and they just showed up at my house last week after being backordered for over a month.

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300
25 Posts
I'm considering swapping the front sprocket to a 15t to get better highway speeds. Has anyone else done this, and is there any problems I should be aware of before trying to do this?
Yep, thanks to the PO. No problems to report with the non-rubber 15t. Just make sure you don’t make it any larger or modify to a smaller rear sprocket in combination. Too large a gear ratio will induce a check engine light.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts