Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2017 Versys 300x non ABS. I want to install a 38 tooth rear sprocket on the rear to lower the rpms and increase mpg. I know the instrument cluster will throw a fault code and the gear indicator will stop working. Any other issues? does the gas gauge and fuel range still compute? Does the speed O work... even if it is not accurate? Any problems long term riding the bike with errors? Thanks and Merry Christmas....:)

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
use the search tab on the main page there has been a few post about this problem

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi, I have a 2017 Versys 300x non ABS. I want to install a 38 tooth rear sprocket on the rear to lower the rpms and increase mpg. I know the instrument cluster will throw a fault code and the gear indicator will stop working. Any other issues? does the gas gauge and fuel range still compute? Does the speed O work... even if it is not accurate? Any problems long term riding the bike with errors? Thanks and Merry Christmas....:)
Check out this thread: https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_tid=127786&share_fid=91415&share_type=t

Versys x300 - Sprockets/Re-gearing Causes Engine Fault Light

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
480 Posts
Read my reply to your PM.

I do not recommend such an extreme gearing change. I tried it and it was too much for the bike to cope with. You have to ride the bike like you stole it, rowing the gearbox all the time or you will lug the motor.

My opinion is that even high-speed freeway 65/75 mph speeds will return poorer fuel economy than stock. Your proposed gearing change is too extreme. Trust me - I have already done it, and reversed it.

I found 14/42 (OEM Ninja 300 gearing) to be ideal, but that engine fault light still keeps coming up.

If you check these gearing ratios you will find that 15/46 (3.066) is not that much lower than 14/42 (3.0) and 15/46 does not cause the fault to come up.

·
Premium Member
9,209 Posts
Read my reply to your PM.

I do not recommend such an extreme gearing change. I tried it and it was too much for the bike to cope with. You have to ride the bike like you stole it, rowing the gearbox all the time or you will lug the motor.

My opinion is that even high-speed freeway 65/75 mph speeds will return poorer fuel economy than stock. Your proposed gearing change is too extreme. Trust me - I have already done it, and reversed it.

I found 14/42 (OEM Ninja 300 gearing) to be ideal, but that engine fault light still keeps coming up.

If you check these gearing ratios you will find that 15/46 (3.066) is not that much lower than 14/42 (3.0) and 15/46 does not cause the fault to come up.
Nothing to do with this thread except the actual sprockets needed to go ( 3.066).

Something I am kicking around, seems there are a abundance of X300 on Gumtree , something I need to try myself in Ontario. My question is, have you ridden the V 650 , I know you have the V strom, I am looking at the fact it is LAM approved and rather than sell it after, I might leave it with my daughter, who is thinking of getting her bike license, her better half has a DR650S Suzuki .I am kicking around the fact I may need to do very little to make it ride able for myself compared to the Versys 650 available on Gumtree, right now she is close to Melbourne, looking at doing Taz and the south east coast of OZ.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Something I am kicking around, seems there are a abundance of X300 on Gumtree , something I need to try myself in Ontario. My question is, have you ridden the V 650 , I know you have the V strom, I am looking at the fact it is LAM approved and rather than sell it after, I might leave it with my daughter, who is thinking of getting her bike license, her better half has a DR650S Suzuki .I am kicking around the fact I may need to do very little to make it ride able for myself compared to the Versys 650 available on Gumtree, right now she is close to Melbourne, looking at doing Taz and the south east coast of OZ.
I have not ridden a V650.

From listening to those that have ridden both I get the impression that the V650 is slightly more nimble and roadworthy than the V-Strom, which is a taller, more top-heavy machine. The 19" front wheel should make it more capable offroad, and it does have quite conservative geometry compared to the V650.

The V-Strom 650 LAMS approved bike has reportedly almost identical power low down to the full power version but with less puff at the top end.

If you intended to stay on the seal the V650 would be my choice. Were you to venture into the red centre of mainland Australia these days I would choose the VX300. Not as comfortable getting there but far more capable and confidence inspiring no matter how rough it gets.

Tasmania is famous for its quality winding sealed roads. Not surprising really as it is a very mountainous state.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts