Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I left in early July for Seattle . Didn't take any photos on the way there , because I already have a lot of photos of the western US . These photos are Seattle . I didn't camp any on the way there because it was too hot . It was 110 in Salt Lake City . Stayed in motels in Laramie , Wy. , and Boise . Crossed the border into Canada on day 4 at Abbotsford , BC , followed highway 1 , and camped at Williams Lake . Had a blast camping at Williams Lake and partying with some Canadians and a Russian guy ! The cascades were spectacular !

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Fraser River gorge

Followed the Fraser River to Prince George . Had to get a back tire at the Yamaha shop . They reamed me $310 for a Shinko . Followed the Yellowhead hwy. 16 to Telkwa and Kitwanga . Saw a couple of Moose run out of the woods and cross the hwy. Scared the crap out of me . Damn They're big !

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stewart-Cassiar Highway

3026 mi. so far . Turned onto the Cassiar at Kitwanga . So far have had only a slight amount of rain on this trip . Almost ran out of gas and limped in to Bell 2 on fumes . There is not much gas on the Cassiar . Get it when you can . Camped at Bell 2 with Nate from Milwaukee and a couple of guys on KTMs from Prince George . Nate split his six pack of molson with me . He has been up to alaska several times . Hope I run into him again ! It was incredibly cold that night for some reason . They told me I should go to Hyder , so on the way home I did . Boy were they right , It was my favorite place on the trip ! I have to say , the cassiar is fabulous . You can camp pretty much any where , too .

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dease Lake

The only reason I rode on the Cassiar is when I was in Prince George there was a sign that said a bridge was out on the alcan , and the road was closed . The yamaha shop confirmed this , and they said the cassiar was much nicer anyway . I'm very happy I had to go that way . They also said gas was not more than 75 kilometers apart . They were very wrong about that . Many gas stations were closed down .

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
made it to the Alaska Hwy.

The cassiar was in great shape . There were some patches of gravel where they were repaving [ sealcoating ] I only hit a few patches of large gravel that were hard to stay up in . All in all , a nice road . The photo of me camping is my first night on the alaska hwy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alcan

3514 mi. from Springfield
Teslin .
Had an awesome meal with fresh pie and ice cream at Teslin. I was floored with the price of the meal . Canada is incredibly expensive .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haines Junction

The ride from Haines Jct. to Haines is amazing !

3780 mi. to Haines Jct .

Border crossing .

The view from the border crossing housing . That is some sweet real estate !

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haines Alaska

Chilcat River near Haines

Hiked up Mt. Ripinski . This is the snow gauge . 17 feet !

Haines and Chilkat river flats from Mt Ripinski .

Lynn Canal looking toward the pacific .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Camping on Mt. Ripinski

My camp .

The view .

The neighbors .

Airplane landing at Haines airport . Probably more of the gold rush film crew !

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mt. Ripinski

Mt. Ripinski summit .

The bridge to porcupine creek .

This is as far as I could make it up the porcupine trail . It was getting late , and I was tired .

Glacier near Haines .

An eagle catching salmon on the Chilcoot River .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sea kayaking

Haines

Sea kayaking in the Lynn Canal , largest fiord in North America . Looking toward Haynes .

Camping on the Lynn Canal .

Lynn Canal looking toward Skagway .

The Alaska ferry .

Heading for Skagway , looking back at Haynes .
Love is in the air !

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Skagway

This is white pass , on Hwy. 2 out of Skagway . Amazing ride , but foggy , so I didn't get many photos . Went back to Whitehorse and back down the Cassiar to Stewart , BC

·
Registered
503 Posts
Fantastic pics thanks for posting. Did you run into any gold miners?
And I agree Cassiar 1000% better than Alcan.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fantastic pics thanks for posting. Did you run into any gold miners?
And I agree Cassiar 1000% better than Alcan.
I met the film crew from Gold Rush Alaska in a bar in Haines . They are all British and really like to drink and dance . I think they danced every song . Nice bunch ! Saw lots of gold miners in the Stewart and Hyder area . It was lousy with them !

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Stewart , BC and Hyder , Alaska

Campground in Stewart . This was my favorite place of my entire trip because of the beauty and I just love the people there . They had bonfire and beer and liked to stay up all night and party . Very friendly bunch .

Hyder is a special place , too !

The Salmon river looking toward the Pacific .

The toe of the Salmon Glacier .

The salmon glacier . This road starts at sea level and at the glacier is about 5000' . Most fun road ever standing on the pegs shooting rooster tails all the way up. Pretty scary in places . A long way to the bottom !

1 - 20 of 27 Posts